master appliance tech
master appliance tech, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  6 years+ in home service own and operate my own in home appliance repair company
13501207

I have a Whirlpool GH7145XFB microwave that sits above our

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool GH7145XFB microwave that sits above our range. After using it earlier today, I closed the door and found that the interior light and fan remained on. The timer does not run, and I cannot start any new cooking operations or hit cancel to stop it. The turntable is not moving. Pressing most buttons seems to register; if I hit "Turntable on/off", "Cook Power", "Warm", etc. the unit displays my entry on the screen but then doesn't take action on it.

The overhead light and fan for my range is working normally. Pressing any of the pre-set timers (popcorn, TV dinner, etc) or any numbers (to program cooking length) gives an "error beep", suggesting a programmed time exists.

If I open the door, the light remains on and the fan shuts off (normal operation.) If I close the door, the fan resumes. I have disconnected power to the unit, waited, and as soon as I reconnect power the situation resumes.

What repair can I attempt?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This means that one of your micro switches for the door has failed, or the control board is shorted. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to test the micro switches. If you find a bad one replace it. If they all test good, then you need a new display control board to fix the issue.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the suggestion and link. I will test the switch today, but I am curious as to why the unit's fan would engage whether the door were operating properly or not. I'll post back soon with the results of my test.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
That's just what happens when 2 switches work and the 3rd switch has failed. It doesn't matter what the results are to me. You know what to do from here, either replace the faulty switch or replace the display control board.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
This responder did not ask any follow up questions or attempt to resolve my issue. Instead he provided a link to a video for a different model of microwave. I felt fairly comfortable accomplishing a voltage test after watching the video but was told by my responder that he didn't want to hear the results of my test. It should really make all the difference since it will force the decision into which part needs replacement.
Expert:  master appliance tech replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with your problem today. Lets get started.

what the first expert has said was correct. it is hard to get a proprer voltmeater check so if you found all the switches working then if you trust your results you will have to replace the control board.
Experience: 6 years+ in home service own and operate my own in home appliance repair company
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After leaving the unit disconnected from power overnight, when I plugged it in today it was working normally.