Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

I have a Maytag washer. Its leaking out the bottom during

I have a Maytag washer. It's leaking out the bottom during the drain cycle. Is it worth having having a technician come out to fix or look into a new one? Problem is I'm on a limited budget.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help you.

Tim Alan :

Can you tell were it is leaking from?

Customer:

The bottom

Tim Alan :

There is a lower panel in the front that has 2 bolts that hold it in place, if you can remove that you might be able to tell were the leak is coming from.

Customer:

I can check

Tim Alan :

This particular unit has a high percentage of leaks that come from the center seal, if that's the case you probably wouldn't want it fixed.

Tim Alan :

If you pull that lower panel off and see a lot of mud and splatters or dried mud, the leak is coming from the center seal.

Customer:

There's a Plastic container on top of a metal platform and there's a drip coming from that metal platform towards the back of the washer. I can't get any closer for better look.

Tim Alan :

Is the drip coming from the area of the center of the tub?

Tim Alan :

Down near the bottom or up high?

Customer:

The water seems to be collecting on that metal plate and dripping over the side of that plate. It's not in the center of the washer as much as it's drippimg off to the right side of plate. There's no mud but there is splatter marks from the drip.

Tim Alan :

That sure sounds like the center seal that is leaking, not sure what you are calling a metal plate, there is a lower bearing that sits in a part called a milk stool and that is pretty much what it looks like, then there is a pulley and break assy, and think that is the area that you are describing.

Tim Alan :

Full Size Image

Tim Alan :

Item 2 is the milk stool, 3 is the brake, and 7 is the pulley.

Customer:

Yes that's the metal plate i'm describing. It has the springs and drain hoses connected to the bottom of it. When this seal goes bad does it slowly leak at first then get worse or does it just go bad because there's a moderate amt of water on the ground? You also said that there's a high percentage of this models with this leak. Is there also a time frame that this seal goes bad because this washer is not real old and in pretty good shape?

Tim Alan :

Actually most of them do leak and most start within 3 years of usage, yes it does start slow and develops a larger leak over time.

Customer:

Is there anything more I can do to make sure it's this seal?

Customer:

Because this leak just started and it's always been leaking a moderate amt of water

Tim Alan :

You can run a large load of clothes and observe it, i use a flashlight or a spotlight and just let it run and spin, if it's leaking there you will see it. Also if there is any spraying during the spin cycle that is also an indication.

Tim Alan :

The best way to find any leak is fill it up with clothes and water and visibly look for the leak, that other front panel comes off also if that helps you.

Customer:

I'll try that. Will it leak or spray from the center of the machine? If it's not the seal what could it be?

Tim Alan :

Yes if the center seal it will be spraying and or dripping from that area, it could be the valve in the back and or the hoses too. If it was the valve it would leak during the fill cycles mainly, if it's the pump or drain hose than during the drain and spin.

Customer:

ok thank you I'll run a load and see where and when it leaks.

Tim Alan :

Ok great your welcome, if you need further assistance just let me know, please remember to press the accept button and leave a comment when your finished, thank you.

Customer:

Hey i just did a load of wash. Let me start by saying this drip is not coming from the center of the machine and it drips even when the machine is not running. It only gets worse during the spin and drain cycle but it never sprays out at any part of the complete cycle and never from the center of the machine. It only drips from the back right hand side of the metal platform that the tub sits on.

Tim Alan :

Your going to have to start up higher and look for the leak, you may want to pull the top up and back and look behind on the other side of the drum.

Customer:

When u say the top do u mean the lid to the washer and move the washing tub til i can see the back side of the drum?

Tim Alan :

The other front panel comes off and there should be bolts that hold the top in place right in the front, take those out and the entire top can be swung back, but not lifted off, just swing it up and out of the way, Not the lid the entire top.

Customer:

ok

Tim Alan :

If it never stops dripping or leaking it sure sounds like the leak is still coming from that center seal area or low on the outer tub, but check the backside and see if you can see the drip.

Customer:

I found where it's dripping from and it's not the drum. It's dripping from the area on the inside of the machine where the water hoses are connected.

Tim Alan :

Ok good. The hoses themselves?

Tim Alan :

or the actual valve?

Customer:

It's not coming from the external hoses going into the back of the machine it's dripping from the inside where it looks like there's a wire connected to a blue connector.

Tim Alan :

That's the valve, how is that dripping from there down to the bottom of the tub? Why is it dripping faster during the drain and spin?

Tim Alan :

Full Size Image

Tim Alan :

this is the valve, is this were you saw the leak coming from?

Customer:

i don't know but it's definitely dripping from that piece with the red and white connectors on it on the inside of the machine. Like i said it was dripping even when the machine wasn't running which would make sense. As far the platform the tub sits on, with me only being able to look from the front panel it looked like it was dripping from the metal platform, Yes that's where it's dripping from according to your picture tou sent.

Customer:

I turned the water off and it's not dripping.

Tim Alan :

Hey good job you found, some leaks are tricky, you should be able to replace that on your own, you did the hard part all ready, the valve isn't that hard to do from there.

Tim Alan : Valve

PART NUMBER: 27001146 this is the part number of the valve.

Tim Alan :

I alol ways replace the hose gaskets when i replace a valve but that's up to you.

Customer:

Awesome do i just go to home depot for this part.

Tim Alan :

I doubt if they would have it, sears parts may have it but not all stores do, most appliance part stores will have them, just type in appliance parts to bring up your local listings.

Tim Alan :

places to order online would be partselect, appliance parts pros, appliance zone, sears parts direct.

Customer:

Awesome Tim thank you very much for sticking with me and all your time. That's a LOAD off my mind. No pun intended.

Tim Alan :

Hey your welcome, and i am glad it wasn't the center seal, thank you and have a great weekend.

Customer:

You too!

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service