Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

F&P french door fridge freezer - fault code F24? What does

Customer Question

F&P french door fridge freezer - fault code F24? What does this mean?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

Jon Grella :

hello

Jon Grella :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am an authorized fisher and paykel service tech and i can help you today

Customer:

Hello Jon

Customer:

Do you know what F24 fault code is?

Jon Grella :

F24 is an error code for a water pressure fault

Jon Grella :

have you recently changed the water filter/

Jon Grella :

sorry

Jon Grella :

just saw the descriptuon

Customer:

We changed the filter to try to fix the error. Do we have to reset somehow?

Jon Grella :

try removing the filter again, but this time before you do turn the water supply to the ref off

Customer:

ok we will try that now.

Jon Grella :

then after changing the filter try to blead the line by getting water at the door. at least four glasses worth.

Jon Grella :

this will let any air that has gotten into the line from changing the filter to escape.

Jon Grella :

if the error code is still on the machine after changing the filter again you will have to hit the filter button for at least ten seconds on the door. this will reset the computer and error code

Jon Grella :

the tech sheet for this machine is under the right hand side top hinge cover. you could find the tech sheet and look through the error code to see what they recommend from there.

Jon Grella :

if you feel that i have answered your question please remember to hit the green accpet button below

Jon Grella :

and if you need more help just email me back and i will help you further at no extra charge.

Jon Grella : Is this machine under two years old?
Customer:

Ok. My son said he did turn the water off the first time but we have done that again. We have run about 2 litres of water through. I am not sure which is the filter button as the only pictures are a cup, 4 horizonal lines and left and right arrow.

Customer:

No

Jon Grella : If it is this could be covered under warranty
Customer:

Pretty sure we bought it just before christmas 2 years ago?

Customer:

There is also a picture of a spanner on the bottom right hand side of display panel

Jon Grella : Ok just double check the date on the receipt if you have it. And if it is under two years you can call them directly to schedule an appointment to have them come out and fix it for free
Jon Grella : If the machine is older the two years then try the tech sheet in the upper right hinge cover. It is the hinge on the right door on top of the machine. You may have to take out a few screws to get to it.
Jon Grella : But once you have the tech sheet it will tell you how to reset the machine
Jon Grella : Let me see if I can look up the reset for you now while you are searching for the tech sheet
Customer:

We have taken both hinge covers off and no tech sheet unfortunately

Jon Grella : Ok
Jon Grella : I will look it up now
Jon Grella : Give me one minute
Jon Grella : It was the filter light that was flashing in the display as well as the f24 error right?
Customer:

No just F24.

Customer:

I had a look on another website and it says the door handle is loose. Seems a bit bizzare but we are looking at that now.

Customer:

Ok. The handles were loose. We have tightened them but still have same problem. F24 error code is on display on the left hand side and a flashing spanner is on the right. When we open the doors it beeps???

Jon Grella : Ok. The loose handles will have nothing to do with this error code for this model ref
Customer:

We have tried turning it off at power but this doesnt work either.

Jon Grella : Is the water dispensEr on the left or right door to the ref?
Jon Grella : I am looking at the manul now. Just want to make sure it is for the same model
Customer:

The water dispenser is on the right hand door

Jon Grella : Ok good that is the one I am looking at
Jon Grella : With the doors closed and if the alarm is still going off just hit any button on the door and it will silence the fault alarm
Customer:

Alarm only goes off when doors opened

Jon Grella : Then press and hold the right arrow button and the lock button together at the same time for four seconds. Then the filter light and display will disappear
Customer:

Ok. When we do that it comes up with off on the left side and a sphere appears above the spanner on the right. As soon as we open the door, alarm goes off and f24 code reappears.

Customer:

If we do it again it comes up with on etc

Jon Grella : Ok. The sphere is the water filter indicator. If you see it on you are turning the indicator on. If it goes away you are turning it off.
Jon Grella : I will send you a link to the user manual. Read it over.
Jon Grella : http://www.fisherpaykel.com/admin/pdfs/pdf_usecares/4048_NZAUS_IceWater7w.pdf
Jon Grella : It looks like on page 26 it shows the filter light and how to turn it on and off. Then discusses if you have a fault code. Like f 24
Jon Grella : Are you there?
Jon Grella : Did you look at the manual?
Jon Grella : If the machine doesn't accept the reset of the computer then you may need a new computer board
Jon Grella : Please let me know what is happening
Customer:

Hi Jon. still trying to work out problem. Looked at manual thanks but it doesnt say anything about the f24 fault that I can see.

Customer:

I think we may need to get a tech out

Jon Grella : No. It doesn't it will ask to contact a tech in your area or call them
Jon Grella : The error is seefinitley for the pressure in the water line.
Jon Grella : Do you still have the top right upper hinge cover off?
Customer:

Mmm. ok. My son is a plumber and we have checked the lines

Jon Grella : Yes. But have you check the clear plastic lines in the hinge area? The water line that runs from the back of the machine to the door of the ref.
Customer:

yes

Jon Grella : Sometimes air can get in therefrom changing the filter
Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

Water is being dispensed ok

Customer:

But possibly the ice is not working

Jon Grella : Have you taken the coupling appart by the upper hinge to release the pressure?
Jon Grella : It has a blue and red connection and two clear lines running to it
Customer:

Yes

Jon Grella : And I believe your model should be an rf 614 not rf 641, right?
Jon Grella : http://www.fisherpaykel.com.au/product/fridge-freezer/fridge/?productuid=F8DF5B6D-0128-12F8-4436B0D7892584E7
Jon Grella : The link above is to a picture of your machine
Customer:

Yes

Jon Grella : Ok
Customer:

yes

Jon Grella : Thefor sure the f24 is for the water pressuring the lines. And it usually happens when the filter is replaced. Did you try taking the filter out again and then re installing it. Then resetting the water filter at the door?
Customer:

The ice drawer was emptied last night but doesnt seem to be refilling. The water is dispensing ok through the door. Could it be that the lines into the freezer area are frozen??

Customer:

the error was happening before we replaced the filter.

Customer:

We replaced the filter to try to fix the error

Jon Grella : Ah! Then yes.
Customer:

Ok. We might try defrosting

Jon Grella : Do you see a layer of frost or ice anywhere on the back wall of the freezer cabinet. On the inside of the freezer?
Jon Grella : Has the temp in theref cabinet gotten any warmer lately
Jon Grella : Rhe error can also be for the ice line.
Jon Grella : If the ice maker has not made ice in a day and you are sure that it is on, thei would first let the machine defrost over night at last for 24 hours unplugged then turn it back on. And give the ice maker 24 hours to make ice. If it doesn't then that is the problem. You will need a new ice maker and water valve
Jon Grella : Yes. Definitely defrost the machine for 24 hours with freezer door open. Then after 24 hours turn the machine back on and wait about a day to get ice.
Customer:

Ok we will defrost over night and see what happens.

Jon Grella : If the ice maker works after the defrosting then you had a clog of ice in the line and it needed to be defrosted.
Customer:

Ok. Sounds reasonable.

Jon Grella : If you feel I have helped answer your question please remember to hit the greatest button now.
Jon Grella : And if you need any more help with the machine, either today tomorrow or whenever, just email me back and I will help you further. For free at no extra charge. Just the one time fee today
Jon Grella : And I can also get the parts you need as well. And get you the part info so that you can order and have your son install the parts to save you even more money
Customer:

Ok thanks for your help

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for accepting my answer today

Please defrost the machine for a day and let me know how it works after that.

Please email me back either to let me know it is working or to let me know that you need the ice make r and water valve. And I will get the part info for you.

Hope all works out for you.

Thanks again
Expert:  FPTech replied 2 years ago.
F24 is an icemaker sensor fault. The most likely cause is that the wire is broken under the ice tray. Fisher & Paykel have a replacement kit for this fault with a better quality wire. Part number 321107.