Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My LG fridge has been making loud "helicopter" sounds off and

Customer Question

My LG fridge has been making loud "helicopter" sounds off and on for several weeks. Today I am seeing an "Er FF" code on the display panel. The unit is 3+ years old and out of warranty. What should I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.
This fault code indicated that your freezer fan is defective. The helicopter noise may be a broken blade, the motor came off the mount, possibly ice hitting the fan blade from a frosting situation or the motor may be bad. You can take the stuff out of the freezer and remove the back access panel to get a look at it. You should be able to clearly see if the fan blade is hitting anything. This should solve your problem. If you need any other help let me know. Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

According to what I've read online, this is a common problem in LG fridges and in fact is a defect in the motherboard's communication with the fan relay, causing it to shut off prematurely, interfering with the auto defrost. I have read many instances of people having to empty and dismantle the back panel of the freezer and defrost a large chunk of built-up ice manually, then reassemble--this is beyond my DIY capability and time availability, frankly.

I have a home warranty company which is pretty clueless--originally they sent me to a service that does not even work on LGs, and when they finally did connect me with a company that services LGs, the tech that was sent did not seem at all knowledgeable.

My home warranty company wants to say that the problem is the icemaker, so they don't have to cover it; from what I've read, LG's support is very shoddy even though this is a common problem, and I'm faced with a huge amount of work and mess (with two small kids at home), a huge bill--or both--and a potential fight on my hands to get any of this covered by either LG or my home warranty company. Do you have any suggestions on how I might best communicate with the folks involved in order to get the issue fixed?

LG is one of the worst for parts, service and support. If I were you I would find a local independent service company that works on LG products. The home warranty techs are as dumb as it gets I deal with that a lot. You will find that getting a reputable one or two man independent service company will be time, money and headache savings in the end. Let's put it this way I run my business and if there is a problem there is no one to pass off the problem to so I deal with it. You will find better quality techs this way by far. Now, depending on where you live and how much you want to argue with your home warranty company I have serviced customers that got the home warranty to agree to reimburse them and they used me for the service. If you argue that the tech they sent was a joke and you want your own local company to come out. They may cave and allow you to do it since not many places even work on LG. That would be the best advice I could give you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I live in the Dallas metroplex; specifically Plano. Finding qualified service people can be a challenge in a market this big. Any suggestions as to how I should go about my search?

And one more question: since it seems inevitable that I will be purchasing a new refrigerator soon (GRRRRRRR...my grandmother's was still running 27 years after she bought it and this piece of junk is less than 4 years old!!), what brand/model would you recommend?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Andy recommended that I seek out a local, one- or two-man repair shop to handle the issues with my LG refrigerator. My followup question asked how he suggested that I go about finding a reputable repairman of this kind (I live in the Dallas metroplex). I also asked his recommendation on what brand of fridge I should buy in case this one proves irreparable.
I am sorry I was stuck in a chat session answering another questions or I should say numerous questions. You should use Angie's list to find a reputable company as the reviews are paid for by the customers so they are a lot more accurate than just Google reviews etc.. As far as a new refrigerator lastly even 15yrs probably not going to happen anymore. Personally from a repair, dependability and parts stand point I would stick with a Whirlpool/Kitchenaid refrigerator. They are dependable and very service friendly. You will not have a hard time finding service at all if you do need it. I would stay away from GE, Frigidaire, Samsung, LG. That would be the best advice I could give you and it is the same advice I give my customers. I am sorry it took a little but to get back to you, but trying to chat on this can be time consuming. Thanks Again Andy
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Thank you and I wish you the best of luck