Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

GE profile oven gives error code F0 (or FO)

I have a GE profile oven. I’m getting the error code F0 ( or FO) Online research tells me it has something to do with the controller for the oven… the top “burners” work fine. If I cycle power to the oven the error goes away for a short time and then reappears even if I did not try to use the oven. I have not been able to find instructions on line on how to repair / replace the controller. So I suppose my question(s) are. Is this a common error for this oven, and is the controller something that a relatively mechanically inclined (electrical) Engineer could replace if I buy a replacement controller on line? Can you point me to somewhere online that may have instruction on how to replace this?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

The error code means a button on the touch pad is shorted or the control board is bad, they are fairly easy to replace but you will first need to determine if the touch pad or control is bad. If the touch pad is built into the control board then both will need to be replaced.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Once I get the error the touchpad is unresponsive. If I cycle power to the oven and the error goes away, the touchpad is functional - until some time passes and I get the F0 error again. Does this indicate the controller is bad? if this is not an indication of a bad controller, is there something i can do to determine controller or touchpad?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Can you give me the model number? Will help me figure this problem for you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the maual here. it says JSP57 JS968 JD968 on the cover...I assume those are model numbers...and I have one of them. I see no model number on the stove. I just hit the CLEAR/OFF button and it cleared the error code. I am SURE it will return, but appartntly the touchpad is nto completly unresponsive as I mentioned earlier.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Is this a range or a wall oven?

To get the correct model number if this is a range the model number will be on a sticker to the left or right inside the drawer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Range.... I believe... 4 burnes on top...convection underneath... is that a RANGE?

OK... WAIT you mention a DRAWER. there is NO maybe it is a wall oven...

Its NOT one of those ovens that is built into a wall... I feel silly...easy question...and im not sure

Customer: replied 4 years ago. goign to go look to see if there is a drawer below the oven....

The manual I have is here

Attachment: 2012-01-19_224450_oven_manual.pdf

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No drawer under the oven. Laben inside of the oven door reads:

MODEL J D968T0F1WW (Might be TOF1...)

SN AF4 25539Q

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok the touch pad is separate to the control on this one, This is how you figure out if the touch pad or the control is bad.

Access the control panel then pull the ribbon cable out of the control for the touch pad.

Then turn the power back on and wait an hour.

If F0 comes back then the control is bad, If F0 does not come back then the touch pad is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK Makes sense... Any guidance on how to access the control panel?

and I know this is completly subjective, but is it a repair a reasonable adept person could make or is a definate "repairman" repair?

OH also any info on PART NUMBERS for the touch pad and controler so I might order on line?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
well from the schematic it looks like the control is on the front as opposed to the rear on top. In this case the control is easy to replace but it's a tough one to access the control panel. This would require the top be removed then the front panel be taken off. Problem is allot of wires will need to be disconnected and then you would need to remember how to put everything back together (not an easy thing to do if you are not used to doing this kind of repair)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im Not "used to it" but pretty technically adept and I take a billion pictures with the camera for documentation on how to put it all back together. Any helpful hints on how to remove the top, then remove the font panel? did you fiond any ONLINE ionfo I could go to?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Ok there are several was ge units come apart, in this case you will either have to open the door and take the screws out under the lower lip of the control panel or you will have to pull it out from the wall partially take the screws out at the side holding the cook top in place then lift the cook top to access the control.
Click here to view schematics of this model