Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My refrigerator is not sufficiently cold

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Is it the refrigerator section that's 45°? Or is it the freezer section? Also is the fan running in the freezer? Do you see any Frost on the back wall inside the freezer behind your food? Sorry for all questions we need to get as much information as we can so we can make a determination of what your issue may be. Thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You asked: Is it the refrigerator section that's 45°? Yes, it is the refrigerator.

The freezer seems to be working just fine. I am at work but since the freezer seems to be fine, I am guessing that the fan is running in the freezer. I also hear the refrigerator fan running.

Your asked: Do you see any Frost on the back wall inside the freezer behind your food? I don't know since I am at work. If there can be a connection between the freezer and the refrigerator maintaining the proper temperature, that's a bit surprising to me.

Yes if this has a defrost problem there will be some Frost on the back wall inside the freezer and what this does is it restricts the airflow into the refrigerator section which will make the temperature rise, this is a very common issue all your cold air comes from the freezer section there is nothing in the refrigerator that creates cold air it all flows down from the freezer so if this is frozen behind the panel there is no air flow or at least very little so you need to check when you get home and let me know and we can take it from there, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just checked with my husband, there is no frost on the back wall of the refrigerator. The temp in the refrig is 45 degrees and I have it set on the highest (coldest setting). .The gasket on the door is very tight.
Okay he still these to remove the back panel inside the freezer and check the Frost pattern on the coils. It's very important if all the coils are not frosted evenly but not excessively then you probably have a Freon leak which is a sealed system problem in would need to be checked by an HVAC licensed technician, is your husband able to remove the back panel inside the freezer to check that? Could you ask him?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is checking and I do appreciate your help. Regarding the original price, I am most willing to pay but the original price was $35 and now the top of the screen says $45. I don't understand. Apparently, the more I talk to you, the higher the price goes. If that's the case, perhaps I need to quit.
Your price should not go up, whatever you put up the original price of $35 should stay at $35 I will look into this for you. Maybe a computer glitch, unless you leave the bonus your price should not be any more than you originally put up so I will look into that for you when we are finished. Let me know what your husband finds. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bryan: My husband is pretty handy but he seemed daunted by the prospect of taking off the WHOLE back of the inside freezer panel. He could only see screws on the front and wasn't sure exactlly how to go about it.

He DID say that he could see coils in the back through a window that was about 1 inch high and 18 iinces across and they all seemed evenly distributed with frost. IF frost is the problem and NOT a Freon leak, can something be done without calling in a technician?

Defrost is the problem and you really can't tell by looking through the top grill part I know what he's talking about but you really can't tell whether it's frosted up below that and causing an issue, airflow is the most important thing a refrigerator if you don't have it won't stay cold air has to flow into the refrigerator than back up into the freezer section than so forth and so on continuing the loop, you can try unplugging it for 24 hours and letting it defrost but that's not practical unless you have an extra refrigerator put your food in, other than that you cannot defrost these without removing the panel is kinda daunting job one some of these refrigerators I know and I feel bad but it needs to be checked in order that know for sure, like I said if only a partial part of the coils frosted than that's a Freon leak, if there's too much Frost it's a defrost problem. Really need to get a look at them to see.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bryan: Thank you for your patient help. It is getting late and I have to go home and fix supper. Whether it is a defront issue or a Freon issue, either way it sounds like we need a repair person to work on this refrigerator. I do accpet your answer and hope I am only chareged the original agreed on price of $35, especailly since getting a technician in will cost a lot of money, but thanks to you for the information and assistance.

Be Well. Rebecca

I will talk to the main office and tell them that you were originally supposed to pay $35 for the question and I will let them know, if you were overcharged they will fix it, you have yourself a great evening and thanks, Bryan