Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Maytag Neptune front loading washer turns on but water does

Customer Question

Maytag Neptune front loading washer turns on but water does not run. Water does not drain either. I checked the faucet, there is water. What do I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you get us the full model # ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MAH5500BWW
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Does the door lock in the door lock light come on when you start this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes to both
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay so the door is locking and it seems to be going into the cycle but there is no water coming in at all? Do you hear a buzz coming from the back with the hoses are connected when you start this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay when this is in the drain cycle when you go to cancel drain he say it doesn't drain at all? No water will come in unless the water that's already in the tub is drained there is a pressure switch that prevents that so it doesn't overflow, but if this pressure switch is not reset after the water is drained it will not put water back in so I think we can step away from the water issue for the moment, do you hear the drain pump running and all when you hit drain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is presently water in the tub. How do I reset?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Well you can't reset it the water has to all be out in order for to reset, your problem is you have a clog the drain pump for the drain pump is failed. Does the door open? Or is it locks and will not open?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Door opens, and yes there water in the hose that is supposed to drain the water
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay it's definitely not draining, this is the top part what you need to do is first trying tip the machine back in get as much water out of the inside as possible by bailing out then you will need to remove the front panel that goes around the door is like a U-shaped panel you need to remove the screws from the door hinges and across from that there are two more you need to remove those and pull the panel out at the top and lift it off the bottom clips and put it aside, then you will see the pump the drain hose the comes from the tub goes to the pump and then the one out to the back you will need to remove those hoses and check the pump for may be a small sock or something that maybe got sucked through and jammed up the pump, water is going to come out so have plenty of towels ready if you going to do this to make sure you don't make a real mess just loose limit first and try let some water out sopped up as you go, let me know when you have the pump checked if it's clear then the pump is failed and needs to be replaced I will get you a part number is XXXXX you let me know what the condition of the pump is, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did as you instructed. I tested it. It works! Thanks so much.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Fantastic that's great! Your very welcome, have a great night, Bryan