Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

hello! our oven doesnt work :)

Customer Question

hello! our oven doesn't work :)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

does the control set correctly ? does it say its heating ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its just dial knob and there's no indicator light. when i went to reheat the oven, it never got hot. it didn't do anything. we now have the gas disconnected.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay see you have a turn dial type thermostat I see that, let me see if there is a thermostat safety in this, I have to look up some diagrams so just hold on for a few minutes and I'll be back. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay I don't see one, this means a thermostat has failed, was there an indicator light that used to come on in this when you turn the oven on? The diagrams a very vague.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I AM PRETTY SURE I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN INDICATOR LIGHT. MY HUSBAND IS CHECKING TO MAKE SURE.............

HE DOES NOT SEE ANY LIGHT ANYWHERE.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, if the top burners click and light that means the range is getting power and so the thermostat itself is bad, do you have a voltmeter and you think your husband would be able to check the bake element if I sent him a video on how to do that with a voltmeter? Just to make sure before we go any further with the thermostat, did he check the broil yet does that work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

MY HUSBAND IS AN ELECTRICIAN SO YES, HE CAN DO THIS. HE JSUT DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THE BAKE ELEMENT IS, SO PLEASE SEND THE VIDEO.

THE BROILER DID NOT WORK. MY HUSBAND THOUGHT IT WAS THE IGNITOR THAT WAS BAD BECAUSE IT WAS NOT GLOWING?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh thats right sorry this is gas, I'm working on two ranges at the same time, did he test for voltage at the igniter? he should get 120 volts to that when the oven is turned on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WHERE IS HE SUPPOSED TO CHECK? HE SAYS THERE'S NO PLACE TO PUT THE PROBE. THERES JUST A WIRE COMING OUT OF THE DEVICE AND THEN IT DISAPPEARS INTO THE OVEN. NO SCREWS OR ANYTHING.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
It's connected to the safety valve in the back of the range, number 22 on this diagram, it's behind the drawer in the bottom back , sometimes you need to remove the drawer to get to it, tell him he needs a check for 120 V of the two connectors on the safety valve, just follow the wires from the igniter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is the power supposed to come immediately upon turning the dial or does it take a few minutes? if it's supposed to come immediatley, then there is no power.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes the power should come immediately, as far as I can tell from what you're saying you thermostat needs to be replaced, likely this is electrical and doesn't involve any gas work as far as that goes of course you have to reconnect the stove once you get it finished, Sears has the part, his a link, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Whirlpool-Parts/Range-Parts/Y07659500/0022/464/Model-SF330PEWW5/1198/(NNN) NNN-NNNNkeySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=O2023607&diagramPageId=00003&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=SF330PEWW5&subCompDesc=Cooktop%20and%20manifold&brandDesc=WHIRLPOOL&modelDesc=GAS-RANGE&blt=11&shdMod=SF330PEWW5 thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay my husband is going to go buy the part right now. do we keep in touch with you to make sure that once he replaces that, that it really works?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay, does he have the old one out yet ?