Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a GE Cafe 4 burner gas range with electric grill (new

Customer Question

We have a GE Cafe 4 burner gas range with electric grill (new in Oct 2010) between the two sets of burners. My wife wants to replace the grill with two burners, preferably gas burners, making the range on with no grill but 6 burners. For a skilled tech, would this be feasible to do? I understand it would probably compromise the warranty.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

do you have a model # ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Café Dual-Fuel slide-in range ZDP364NRP2SS RT202817P
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
after looking at the diagrams and parts I'm afraid this is probably not possible, the problem would be with several things. 1 the gas valve wouldn't fit the manifold. 2 your spark module would not accommodate another igniter. 3 they don't make a burner assembly to fit the center. all this considered it looks to be impossible, sorry. I was hoping they sold a setup for that. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, that makes sense, but could it handle a conversion to electric burners in the center or a griddle in place of the grill?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

well you would still have a new set of issue's with that, if you wanted two burners,1 they don't make a module to fit that space, 2 theres no place to mount the switches

on the front, the only thing you may be do is call G.E. and see if they have an electric center griddle, probably not but its worth a shot, the other thing is does this convection system run on 220 volts or 110? if its 110 you cant even begin to wire this up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They do have a griddle, but not sure if it can be converted. How do I determine if it is 110 or 220? I'm pretty sure it is 220, though. Once I get your answer here, Ill click accept so we can get on the the day! Thanks for your help. Saves me a lot of time.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay if they have and electric griddle then thats possible. after looking at the convection element it looks to be 220. the things you would need would be the infinite switch and wiring , also the griddle, they usually use the same basic cabinet for electric and gas setups. so that should be an issue, cost ? not sure , you would need to price out the parts and call a technician to see about labor. you can see if this is 220 by check the breaker to the range, if it a double breaker its 220. wish I could do more. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That helps. Will call the tech. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay good luck and well wishes , thanks, Bryan