Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE TRX27PF refrigerator and the de light is flashing.

I have a GE TFX27PF refrigerator and the 'de' light is flashing. What causes that and how do I turn it off?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Good morning, the de error is a problem with your defrost system, can you open the freezer door and checked the back wall of the freezer and tell me if there's any Frost on it? Any at all.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There is NO frost on any of the freezer surfaces

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay it hasn't had time yet to build up, do you have tools and possibly a voltmeter? You need to check your defrost heater. These heaters burnout after a few years and need to be replaced, this heater comes on every eight hours and defrost the Frost from the coils. Do you think you can get to it and check it if I showed you how?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I think I can do that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay what you need to do is to remove the back panel inside the freezer behind your food by removing the screws holding the panel, what you have that done the heater system you will see it there is one in the middle of the coils and one of the bottom there connected together make sure you unplug the refrigerator before doing any of this, then follow this video on how to check the heaters, click this link and it will take you to the heater and a video to show you how to test it, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR51X443/2001?modelNumber=TFX27PFSAAA more than likely the heater is bad we replace a lot of these, let me know and have that done, thanks, Bryan