Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Frigidaire Gallery FWT445GE front load washing machine. The

I have a Frigidaire Gallery FWT445GE front load washing machine.

The machine seems to "run" (by that I mean the water runs in and pumps out, you hear the timer cycling) but it doesn't spin or agitate.

What are the most likely casues of the probelem and at 14 years old is it worth trying to repair??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Does the door still lock? When you start this does the door lock in stay locked?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the door locks and stays locked when I pull on it.

When I do pull on it, the pressure of pulling on it does cause the water to stop and the machine to "buzz", but when I push back into the door, the buzz stops and the water continues to run.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay but it's fine if you leave the door alone is that correct the water keeps coming in and filling up in other words if you don't touch it it will fill with water okay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, if I don't touch the door it fills with water, but just won't agitate or spin even though I can "hear" the machine running.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay unfortunately that's not good news, the motor control board is shot if you already replaced the timer it's the only part between the motor and the timer, this however is very expensive it is available but to be honest I would not put $348 more into this machine, but I will supply you with a link to the part if you wish to go ahead and replace it, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Circuit-Board-or-Timer/131725300/408144?modelNumber=FWT445GE my better advice would be since this machine is 14 years old and there are other things that you need to consider in the future such as the rear bearing in the tub and possibly the motor itself eventually I would suggest replacing the machine, you hate to put that kind of money into it and then a year from now have to replace the machine anyway. Hope this information is useful, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm just a little confused, if it makes a difference, I have NOT replaced the timer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I thought you stated you replaced the timer, I am working on two different machines at the same time and didn't realize you had'nt replaced the timer. If the timer hasn't been replaced then that is more likely the issue then the motor control board, although I have bad news on that end there showing the timer has no longer available, and if it is available anywhere it still goning to run $381 or somewhere around that, the only way to tell which part is bad is to start the machine and once it's done filling check for voltage to the motor control board, if the timer is sending power to the motor control board then the motor control board is bad if not the timer is bad unfortunately this machine is too old to pull up the wiring diagrams but you should be getting 120 V to the control board on the main plug going in. Either way the parts are real expensive for this you are at the same point you were before where if you replace a very expensive part in something else goes wrong shortly thereafter you will be into this more than a new machine would run you, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.