Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Whirlpool Sidekick Freezer makes a noise like the fan is

My Whirlpool Sidekick Freezer makes a noise like the fan is hitting something. How do I get to the motor and blades to find out what is going on?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Is there Frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind your food? Look real good and let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'm Kathryn. Anthony is checking so please hold on.

okay no problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is a little bit of frost on the removable steel panel inside the freezer.
Okay most likely the fan is hitting Frost or ice behind that panel, you have a defrost issue and so the Frost builds up and eventually builds up enough to where the fan can hit it, you need to remove the back panel inside and check the Frost pattern on the coils, is it really frosted up bad on the coils if so it's definitely a defrost issue just let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything more involved in removing the panel other than just removing the screws.
Not really in this model, his a diagram of the assembly most likely number nine on the diagram is your problem is the defrost thermostat and in these models this always goes although if you don't find a lot ice around the fan it may be the fan itself which is number three, you will be able to tell once you have it apart, let me know and I will look up the parts then, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could you please give me the part numbers for the defrost thermostat, the fan blade, fan motor and the defrost timer. I am an A/C Contractor and I have knowledge of refrigeration. I just want to make sure I wouldn't break something trying to gain access.
Absolutely let me do this I will send you a link to all those parts, it could also be the defrost heater but that is rare on those ones so if you have the parts list you can take it from there, here's a link to the parts, I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan