Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The oven door to my Kenmore 30" self cleaning electric range

The oven door to my Kenmore 30" self cleaning electric range will not open until the oven is cooled down after cooking, and then only with great difficulty. The self cleaning latch mechanism is not involved. It appears to be one or both hinges. The oven is 10 years old, but I have never had a problem with the door before yesterday. Is this a hinge problem, does it have something to do with the self cleaning locking mechanism, or something else. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

If you close this almost all the way and then open it doesn't seem to work okay then? This may have something to do with the lock mechanism if it's bent or not fully retracting and just catching the door when it shut all the way, that's why trying to see whether you can close it within like may be a half-inch and then open it is or a problem with that when you do that?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried that. It will re-open after I close the door, but it is difficult and appears somewhat stuck at left lower door hinge which requires me to pull hard to open it even after cool down. What surprised me was door not opening again yesterday after I baked, then having to wait for cool down and then it was difficult, but did open. When I open and close the door it still is sticky at the lower hinges. My husband says the hinges look ok. Do the door hinges lock in place during "self cleaning" or is it just the door locking mechanism at the top of the stove that locks? Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
The door hinges do not locked in place in self clean just the latch assembly that you slide over to lock it so if this is not catching the door than the hinges need to be replaced, you can order these at the following link if you wish, it's easier to remove the whole door to replace these, there are two little flip over locks on the hinges open the door about three quarters of the way and flip both the locks over and then close the door until it's almost shut and lift up in the whole door will come off and it's much easier to replace them that way, thanks, Bryan