Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My frontload Whirlpool washer keeps displaying E01 F09 Code

Customer Question

My frontload Whirlpool washer keeps displaying E01 F09 Code Errors.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.

Andy :

hello

Customer :

Hi there

Customer :

I am having a small issue with my washer. And need some help. I really suspect the problem is a clogged drain filter, but before I dig into it I want to make sure I am doing it right. Help

Customer :

I want to make sure that I do not void my warranty. otherwise it would already be in peices.

Andy :

oK i WILL TRY

Andy :

Are you just getting that code

Customer :

No what do you need.

Customer :

It also is not draining

Andy :

Have you unplugged the machine and plugged it back in

Customer :

yes

Andy :

Does the code come up right away or can you press cancel to try and pump the water out

Customer :

It will run for about 10 minutes then will shutdown and give the error code.

Andy :

Is there water in it now

Customer :

Takes the sandard 8 minutes afterward to unlock the door

Customer :

yes

Andy :

how much water is it up the door like an aquarium

Customer :

no I scooped most of it out.

Customer :

But it was up to the door

Andy :

Do you have a drain/spin cycle on your unit

Customer :

yes. Tried that same error code.

Customer :

I even found out that I can deactivate the rinse cycle.

Andy :

Ok do you have tools? Torx bit driver?

Customer :

I should.

Customer :

Yes

Andy :

If you close the door and start a drain/spin cycle do you just hear a low hum from the bottom middle of the unit

Customer :

Have not paid attention to that. I can go check.

Andy :

Ok check that out now

Customer :

sound the same on the start up then it is quiet

Andy :

what was the last load you did before this happened

Customer :

There is no hum

Customer :

my sons washed a load with a comforter in it.

Andy :

bingo

Andy :

you are going to have to take the back off your machine.

Customer :

will that void the warranty

Andy :

They will not cover a clogged button trap under warranty

Andy :

If some of the comforter came out and clogged up the drain pump that is most likely your problem

Customer :

So I have to access this from the back.

Andy :

Yes

Andy :

Unfortunately they changed the design and now you have to get at it from the back

Customer :

Tell me what I need to do so I can start. The washer is in the basement. Also that thing is heavy.

Andy :

Yes you need to remove the back and then unscrew the large plastic cap off the pump. When doing this there will be a lot of water pouring out so you will have to either try and pinch the attached hose or let it come out. Make sure you have the unit unplugged before doing this.

Customer :

I will return then

Andy :

I will be going off line in about 20 minutes

Customer :

will you be done for the day

Andy :

I will be back on line in the afternoon. Did you get it off?

Customer :

part of it. I have a couple screws that are a t an awkward angle based on the wall and I am lokking for a socket that will work.

Andy :

Can you move it away from the wall to get more room

Andy :

Just try and get it I will wait

Customer :

I have moved it about as far as I can. I can take care of it then contact you in the afternoon.

Customer :

I should be able to get most figured out.

Andy :

Once the back is off you should see this

Andy :

this is the pump assy Part #10 is the part you will unscrew with your hand

Customer :

Thankyou knowing it is in the back is what I really needed.

Customer :

I will accept. Can you check back tommorrow

Andy :

the catch will come out and you will probably find it clogged with debris. Remove all of the stuff and then put it back in. Before putting the back back on test it briefly to make sure the pump turns on and runs. Start a cycle then stop it after a little water runs in and try and cancel it to see if the pump drains the water. If it does you should be all set.

Customer :

Should I accept now or do you want me to wait till tommorrow.

Andy :

Yes I will check back tommorrow and remember Bonuses are always great:))

Andy :

You can do whatever you would like.

Andy :

I will help you either way:)

Customer :

Thanks

Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You can only access it from the front. I'll work on it tommorow.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After removing the front I was finally able to open and clean the filter. That did not fix it.

With the cover off so you can access the pump , set it on a drain/spin only cycle. Then go around and put your hand on the pump motor to see if you can feel it running or vibrating. If it is then you have a bad pump. Sometimes the impeller breaks off the pump motor and it will not pump any water. Other times something gets jambed in the impeller and causes it to stop. If you are still not certain if it is running use a volt meter to check and see if you have 120volts at the pump plug. You can unplug it and check the voltage across the two wire connections. I would check this first before ruling out a pump problem.
The site was down all yesterday and I could not get on to get back to you sooner. I do not know what happened to the site. I will help you get this fixed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I called in an expert. He said the pump was bad, but was not authorized to work on it. So I called up and had someone come in to replace the pump who would work with the warranty. He found a stick stuck in the propeller. I am glad the pump wasn't bad, but expensive. I can't wait till the warranty has ended.

Well that is good I am glad you got it fixed. Thanks Again!!