Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

we have a kitchenaid refrig with bottom drawer freezer....the

we have a kitchenaid refrig with bottom drawer freezer....the temp in the refrig is set for 35 but went to 48 then 49 and now 53. The freezer is still @ -1 and appears to be working fine but there is frost accumulated in the back of the freezer....can you suggest what to do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food ? look real good, also is the fan running in the freezer ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes there is frost on the back panel in the freezer. doesn't appear that the fan is running. the refrig temp keeps going up...as 48, 49,53 and now 54 while the freezer temp is going down was -1 now -6
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay if you don't hear the fan running that is the issue, all the cold air comes from the freezer section and is moved up into the refrigerator section via the fan, and the Frost on the back panel is caused because the fan is not circulating the air so it's getting colder in the freezer section and you getting Frost on the panel, you need to order and replace the fan, the fan is number five on this diagram, you need to remove the back panel number 11 on the diagram to access the fan, the part number is XXXXX thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now my wife is thinking that she hears the fan motor but the refrig temp is still 54....freezer has gone down from -6 to -3.....not sure if we just wait for a little bit and see if the fan is really working or what??
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay well it's important we know whether the fan is running or not. If it is running then you have a defrost problem and need to remove that back panel inside the freezer behind your food and defrost it with a hairdryer, then most likely you need to replace your defrost thermostat, the defrost thermostat is clipped to the top of the coils once you get it defrosted you will see it, that's most definitely the issue if you hear the fan running.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.