Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi. My Maytag washer model #MAH5500BWW just broke. I did

Hi. My Maytag washer model #MAH5500BWW just broke. I did a normal sized load which worked find. Then later that day I tried to do another load, also normal sized but maybe a tad on the high side, with settings of Cotton, regular cycle, and started it. When I returned home, the machine's power was off. The clothes were still wet. I then emptied the washer and tried it again with just one T-shirt inside, but this time with different settings: "quick", and turned it on. I heard the water entering the drum normally, but within a minute or so, it sounded like something inside that was quietly spinning just "poops out", stops spinning, and then tries to restart again. I got tired of waiting and came back later, to find the power off again, apparently having stopped in mid-cycle. I tried the same thing one more time, after unplugging and replugging in the outlet, but same result. Do you know what's wrong? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

When you start this does the door lock and the door lock light come on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, and yes, but I just tried it a minute ago, and it seems to take a minute or so before it would actually lock.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry I get called out on emergency and just got back, when you didn't reply back right away and a call come in a had to go out to do it so sorry to be so late if you still on tonight I'll be on working, the problem is probably the control board then if it's locking and starts to put water in then shuts down unless it's not draining correctly, have you checked the drain to make sure it's drained out completely?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I definitely hear the drain working but I wouldn't know if it is draining at a normal rate or not.

As for the sounds coming from inside the machine, it often sounds like the water entering the main drub area is only able to trickle in. And I don't hear the drum ever spinning at full speed (because it doesn't make it to the spin cycle) or even at full strength during the agitation cycles like it used to sound.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Oh okay, if the water is just trickling in then your fill valve is bad. What happens is if the water is just coming in real slow it's a timed fill cycle so if the machine doesn't fill in the allotted time it doesn't trip the water pressure switch and the control will shut down after the fill cycle has completed, so your problem is the fill valve, it needs to be replaced you can order this at the following link, if you have any further questions just ask, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the responses. I can accept the answer, but if you don't mind me asking: how confident are you of the above answer that it must be the water inlet valve malfunctioning? What else could it be? Thank you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well thats hard to say , I'm going by what your telling me and I'd say the chances are good but I'm not there so I cant be 100% sure unfortunately, we replace a lot of these however, if you order it where I said it is returnable if it isn't the issue, wish I could do more , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Turns out, it was the drum. Something about it being detached so I had to buy another one.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay, thank you and well wishes , Bryan