Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

microwave model KCMS145JSS is having problem with custom defrost.

microwave model KCMS145JSS is having problem with custom defrost. it doesn't get the job done when it should(or cook popcorn fully for that matter on the popcorn button) when I correctly set it. can this be repaired?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Does this heat things properly otherwise? I mean when you put it on high does it seem to heat the food correctly then?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't really tell for sure. Never paid that much attention. Let me run a test and get back to you. I'll do a popcorn bag manually on high and use that to judge.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
test on popcorn was fine. it followed the instructed time.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay this means the magnetron is good so it's going to have something to do with your control, it's not working properly. This is repairable by replacing the control but I'm not sure if you want to spend that kind of money on it or not. The control is called a smart board and has different functions for the different settings obviously the defrost setting is not working correctly and it's not sending a signal to the magnetron to get things defrosted as it's supposed to.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have you any sense of the cost to replace it. At the least the price of the part?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Yes I do, this is the smart board or call the electronic control, this runs everything so if the microwave is heating correctly on high then all the other parts are running in the smart board is eliciting left that runs the particular functions such as defrost. The part runs around $142.00 hope this helps, thanks, Bryan