Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

This question involves a Frigidaire "affinity" electric dryer

This question involves a Frigidaire "affinity" electric dryer with following identification numbers

Model AEQB6400FSO
Serial# XD91002189

In March of 2011 the above dryer failed to operate when activated so we contacted a local appliance repair company. They replaced the control unit, listed as part#134557200 on their invoice, and it again functioned in a normal manner. The technician commented that the control unit had been subjected to a power overload and asked if we had any electrical interruptions recently. Yes, we had.

The day before we were without any power for about 10-hours while Edison repaired some wires and poles damaged by a snow storm. I contacted Edison and while they acknowledged that they had been repairing the power lines just prior to the failure of the dryer, their letter states that "snow caused an overhead cross arm to break, and primary conductors to fail. This incident would have caused the high voltage you experienced, and was out of our control."
They denied any responsibility.

In November of 2011 we had a similar power outage for 8-hours, and upon reconnection, the same control unit failed and we had it replaced by the same local appliance repair company. The technician's diagnosis was the same as the first time. Edison's response was also the same.

My question is as follows:

Since the dryer was not in use at the time of the electrical "high voltage" that we experienced, could Edison's evaluation be accurate?

Since I have both failed control units is there someone somewhere who can evalute them and determine that they we in the "off" position when they failed?

What can be done to prevent this occurence in the future? Must we immediately disconnect the dryer whenever we experience a power outage, and wait for power to be retored before reconnecting?

Anxious for your reply
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

The best thing you can do is put power surge protectors on these, they sell in that plug-in for the washer but for the dryer you would need to buy the one that goes in the breaker box, they have special 220 breakers that are similar to GFI breakers and if something goes wrong with the power or you get a Spike or a surge it will kick off before it gets to your dryer, this is something however that should be done by an electrician, they have access to these and is also in your main power box which it's not a good idea for you to be playing around in less your an electrician, that's what I would suggest for you, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Brian,

I was told that such surge protectors do not exist for 220. Live and learn. Before I push the green accept button, can you tell me if Edison's evaluation is a valid possibility, even though the dryer was turned "off"?

Thanks for your help and your $30 will be on the way when I get your reply.

Tony

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Well they do have 220 surge protectors, but they are for the circuit breaker box themselves not something you plug in like you do on the computer or something like that they are very different they are actually in the box itself. And yes the high voltage spikes Edison was talking about is a very common issue, especially if two wires cross when they come in contact they can send a power surge right into your home I've seen the thousand times, the thing is even with the dryer shut off there still power going to the controls and any kind of real Spike will just bypass any switch and go directly to the power board, electrician is your best bet to get a surge protector installed. You can call around and I'll tell you, I know they sell them here at Williams electric, not sure if you have any of those in your area, hope I've been helpful though, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.