Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool gold oven - self cleaning with accubake

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool gold oven - self cleaning with accubake system - about 8 years old. The other day I was preheating the oven and I heat a very large popping sound - like the sound of a fuse blowing but louder. Now the oven can't fully heat. I can see the top element comes on, but the bottom element is hidden, so I am wondering if the bottom element needs to be replaced. I have pulled out the oven and there is a panel on the back that can be removed - maybe I can get access to the element that way?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

If you open the bottom drawer there should be a tag with the model number on it can you get me that?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
GJP84902
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay great, most likely your correct you heating element has probably failed and blue out, this one needs to be replaced by removing the side panel on the right side of the stove and it goes in through the side, the element is number one on this diagram. And the side panel is number seven on the other diagram you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Bake-Element/9752294/831841?modelNumber=GJP84902 check your wiring also and make sure it was a wire that blew off thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Bryan - two follow up questions.

1. when you say the panel on the right side, is that the right side looking from the front or back of the oven.?

2. Is there a way to tell the element is blown by looking at it?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Yes the right side panel when looking from the front. And you should be a loose see it if it's burnt, usually when they pop like that they blow a hole in the element, you should be able to see it, if you're unsure here is a link to a you can order the part and there is also a video there to show you how to test this with a voltmeter, click this blue link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Bake-Element/9752294/831841?modelNumber=GJP84902#repairHelpVideoTabs thanks and you have any further questions once you get working on this you have 30 days after you accept to ask for more information at no additional charge, well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have installed the new element. The oven definitely gets hot, but it doesn't seem to get as hot as before the element blew. Is it possible that it takes a few times for the element to fully function??
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
it shouldn't, I wonder if you damaged the clock also. how far off is it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The clock? What do you mean?