Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my ge profile frig model PDS18SBMARBS has started vibrating

my ge profile frig model PDS18SBMARBS has started vibrating very loudly for long periods of time. Every once in a while the vibrating will stop (and the frig will sound as it usually does). It seems that whenever the frig turns back on (the fan?) it makes this loud noise. The icemaker seems OK, and the temps. in the frig and freezer seem ok for now.

Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

The first thing you need to check is for Frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food, is there any Frost? Look real good, let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there's no frost on the back of the freezer, but there is some ice in back of the icemaker that drips down to the bottom of the freezer
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay are you sure this water is coming from the ice maker ? Also is there a sheet of ice on the bottom of the freezer? The fan problem is definitely not causing that but will see if we can straighten out both problems at once, you need to replace the evaporator fan to stop the noise, the other thing the water leak if it's coming from the ice maker itself most likely the valve is not shutting tightly and allowing water to drip, if you sure it's from the ice maker, if it's not from the ice maker or you can't tell check your drain hole underneath the coils with the fan is and make sure it's not clogged, sometimes these I stop in the water will come over the edge and go onto the floor of the freezer, these you can check at the same time, the fan is number 32 on this diagram, the part number is,

Evaporator fan motor kit

Manufacturer Number WR60X10300 I would Google it for the best price on this fan it can vary a lot so look around and get the best price, this will take care of your issues with the noise, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We think that the water drip is from the ice maker; the ice drips on the back of the freezer are only behind and below the ice machine. There is a thin sheet of ice on the bottom of the freezer, but it's proably just water spreading out.

Is the fan something that we can replace ourselves? We are not handy and have never attempted to do something like this! I ask because if we have to call a handyman in to do it, it might make using 'just answer' not worth the extra cost in the future.

We will pay you, of course, and thanks for the help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well if your sure it comming from the ice maker (water) then the valve is the issue. this is the part where the water line form the house connects, as far as replacing the fan the hardest part is getting to it , the back panel inside the freezer would need to be removed as does the ice maker itself, the diagrams show the panel. its # XXXXX but it doesn't really show you how its this can be a difficult one to replace.as much as I'd like to explain how to do this its very hard to tell you how, without being there. you may need to call someone for this job, thanks and very best wishes , Bryan