Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

plugged fabric softner dispenser on a Whirlpool washing ma

Customer Question

plugged fabric softner dispenser on a Whirlpool washing machine
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you get me the full model number? it should be right under the lid in the back. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The model # XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay so you are trying to get this off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was able to remove the fabric dispenser off the top of the agitator. Both the inside of the dispenser and the inside of the agitator are gunked up with softner.

The inside of the dispenser looks like it could use keeping, but I'm not sure if the dipenser comes apart. Also inside of the agitator tghere is a screen that needs to be clear, but I'm not sure how to remove it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Know the dispenser itself does not come apart, it's a one-piece unit. The only thing you can do is soak this in hot water really hot water to break up the build up inside then rinse it out real good and put it back together on the machine, these do get clogged up and you really have to work to get them clean, boiling water in a big pan and then adding some vinegar to help break up the soap will help, do that at least once maybe twice and it should clear out, the inside of the agitator should have a That has two little finger parts you can put your fingers into and pull it Off, it's a plastic Kinda clear and then underneath that is a bolt if you want to take the whole agitator out, years of use tends to gum these up so they do need to be cleaned every now and again. I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I got it at least partially cleaned.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your welcome, have a great week . thanks, Bryan