Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My dishwasher started making a high pitched whine/sqeal intermittantly

My dishwasher started making a high pitched whine/sqeal intermittantly while running a cycle. What could be causing this and is it easy to fix?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you open the door and look on one of the side walls and find the full model number on the tag and get that to me, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay the problem is you have something in your pump assembly, you need to remove the spray arm and then the tower assembly on the pump, this has a chopper blade in it when you get it apart most likely you have a piece of plastic or something that stuck in there and this is causing the noise, there are screws all the way around the pump housing after you get the spray arm assembly off you need to remove those and under that you will find the chopper assembly check for a foreign object in the chopper blade assembly, if you don't see one they may need to remove the next piece under the chopper blade and get down to the actual pump impeller impeller is a diagram of the full pump assembly and parts, , you definitely have something down in there and you will need to remove it, thanks, Bryan