Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Ge Profile microwave model xl1800,over range type. Need to

Ge Profile microwave model xl1800,over range type. Need to replace the magnetron. Part on hand. How do I accesss it to do so?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

are you having trouble getting the case itself off the microwave?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is an above range model and I haven't gotten it out of its case or bracket so that I can access the magnmetron
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh, you have it down from the cabinet though correct ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No , It is still in the cabinet niche above the range, I don't know where to access it to either drop it down from the wall, or slide it from it;s outer case?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay that's different, first there are three screws or at least usually three screws up in the cabinet that go straight down into the top of the microwave you have to remove the whole microwave and one piece, first thing we need to do is to get the full model number from the microwave so I can show you what I'm talking about and get you some diagrams if you open the door there will be a tag on the side wall with the full model number on it can you get that to me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The full model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay I'm pulling up the diagrams now. Give me a few minutes, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
All right , there are three screws they are long ones in they go down through the cabinet into the machine, the screws look like these, the longest ones in this picture. If you can get a screw gun air it's a lot easier, they are long. What you need to do is remove the screws but have somebody holding the microwave up because once these are removed it's going to tip forward, when you get the screws out let it lean forward holding onto microwave tightly and lift it off the back bracket, there is a wall bracket behind it that it hooks onto just lifted up off the hooks and pull it forward guiding the plug through the big hole and then you can put it on the table or whenever you gonna work on let me know when you get that down and I can show you all of diagrams then for the inside with the magnetron is and what to take off, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK offf of the wall, Now what?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay good ! You got a be removing the casing number 90 on the diagram to do this there are screws around the back and underneath so you'll have to slide it to the edge of whatever surface your working on to get to the ones on the bottom sides, remove all the screws and there are also screws on the top near the vent, area. Here's the diagram, once you get the case loose lifted slightly at the back and slide out from under the front it will come out and off. The magnetron is part number 61 on the diagram you will see it since you have the new one already you know what it looks like make sure you ground the capacitor with the screwdriver it's a high-voltage capacitor and stores enough voltage to actually kill you even when it's unplugged the capacitor is number 75 on the diagram, if you have heavy gloves rubber put them on and use a long screwdriver and shorted across the two wires to discharge it, once that is done you can get to removing the magnetron, it's hard to explain that but there are four bolts holding it in or screws depending on which one it has and there could be a plastic cover over it partially you may need to remove but I believe with the diagrams you will be able to take care of this from here, I hope I information is been useful thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When magnetron pulled out, even thoguh part number is XXXXX same, old part has 2 sets of terminals, themain on the bottom but what appears to be a thermostat or something up at the top edge of it. What do I do with the leads that cme off of it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes you need to remove the little thermostat on the edge of it, there are tiny Phillips head screws holding it just remove it and install it on the new magnetron, then plug it back in with the wires when you put the new magnetron in, some of the magnetron's come with the thermostat which is a safety thermostat in case the magnetron overheats, so just remove it and put it on the new one in the same spot there will be holes in the new magnetron for that if you got the correct magnetron which you probably get them sure, then just reinstall it.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.