Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Last night I ran my GE Monogram microwave for 2 minutes and

Last night I ran my GE Monogram microwave for 2 minutes and then 1 minute with nothing in it. Now it comes on, but will not heating anything. What's wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Do you have the full model number? Open the door and look on one of the side walls and there should be a model number tag can you get that to me? Thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ZE2160SF 05
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay is the turntable and everything turning and the clock counting down on this? It seems like every things running but just not heating?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay this means the magnetron has failed. The magnetron heats the food, this will need to be replaced however you will need to take the machine down if it's above the stove and remove the outer casing, this can also be a dangerous job because the high voltage capacitor can store a lethal amounts of voltage so you will need to discharge the capacitor before attempting to replace the magnetron, are you comfortable with working with the electronics and voltage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me how to discharge the capacitor?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
You need to be extremely careful when doing that. If you have big rubber gloves wear them and you will need a long screwdriver insulated one if you have one, this is the high-voltage capacitor you will see it when you get the casing off, make sure the microwave is unplugged and take it down from under the cabinet remove the casing then you need to take your screwdriver and short in the context on the capacitor together, this is the top view, once it's discharged you can do the repair, , just be careful, thanks, Bryan