Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an Kenmore Plus Gas Oven model 665.75775. The upper

I have an Kenmore Plus Gas Oven model 665.75775. The upper broiler burner works just fine but the bottom bake burner does not light. I took the flame shield off and the ignitor glows red when i turn the oven on, but does not light the rail. after about 2-3 mins you can start to smell some gas. my wife said that eventually the lower burner will ignite but with all that gas in the oven it makes a little fire ball (not good).

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

This is a common problem on these you need to replace the igniter, even though it glows it's not drawing enough amps to open the valve fully immediately after it gets red hot so the valve may be partially opening and finally lights but you get a big ball of flame because the gas is leaking out of before reaching the igniter, therefore you get a big puff and lights, replace the igniter and that will take care your issue, here is a link where you can purchase the igniter if you wish to get it there. just because these igniter's glow and seem to glow bright they just are not drawing enough amps to open the valve, thanks and best wishes, Bryan