Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

Refrig compressor kicks in then shuts off within 5 seconds

Customer Question

Refrig compressor kicks in then shuts off within 5 seconds - lights inside operational, rear fan working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help you with your issue. Sounds like either the compressor is locked up or the relay is bad, what is the complete model number of the unit please.
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
596.58642890
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Unplug the refrigerator and pull off the plastic cover on the compressor, pull the relay off the compressor and shake it if it rattles it's bad, if you have a volt ohm meter we can the relay with that also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
give me 5 min and I will pull off relay
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the cover attached to compressor removed, two relay 1 feeds fan (blue- black ) wires, second has balck - white ) neither small relay seem removable - can't pull either out to shake
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The relay plugs right onto the terminals of the compressor and should just pull right off, it's either an all in one relay which would be either black or white, or you have a relay and overload, both plug onto and unplug from the compressor, the fan could be using one of the terminals for the fan but it doesn't run the fan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
got it off - according to wire digramI have both overload and Relay-PTC

I took both off - shake and no rattle
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Ok is this a black relay? What brand of compressor is this, Tecumseh, copeland, bristol?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tp109ar003a8 h1498
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what you just sent me, if that's the number off the compressor, I show this as an Amana compressor and they do have a high failure rate and do have a tendency to lock up, chances are it's a bad compressor. You can try a new relay just to make sure but the compressor may very well be locked up.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The part number on the relay is 67005560