Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GFSS6KKY GE ice maker is not working. The is not water getting

Customer Question

GFSS6KKY GE ice maker is not working. The is not water getting to the ice maker. The water dispenser works fine. I have replaced the filter with no luck. Is there a way to make the ice maker fill with water.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

GE icemakers are a bit different. Try turning the switch off. Wait 60 seconds and turn the switch back on. Push the white paddle in 3 times slowly within 15 seconds. Then wait 2 minutes. You should see the icemaker start to cycle. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a place to turn it on and off other than the electronic control pannel on the front of the refrigerator?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
yes. On the icemaker itself there should be a switch hear the bottom on the head of the icemaker. It will either be a little rocker switch that you can flip on and off, or it's a plastic white sliding tab that you slide over.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do not see any kind of mechinacal switch in the unit. It is one of the very narrow ice makers inside the refrigerator. There is a button on the side of the ice tray assembly that says test switch, but it seems to be a button under some rubber that you would depress, and when I do it has no effect on anything.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok, if it's inside the refrigerator then you're right, there isn't a switch. This is a unit made by Maytag for GE so it's not really a GE icemaker. Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. To do this, just fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where would I gain access to the water line inside the unit. I do not see any way to get the back off the refrigerator? Is the water line inside the ice maker itself supposed to be a soft rubber or hard plastic, it is very rigid feeling and I cannot tell if it is plastic or just frozen?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The water line comes in through the roof near the back of the icemaker. The entire icemaker would need to be uninstalled to access the fill tub and it's not easy to remove the icemaker. It's fairly rigid but ti's not hard to tell if something is frozen solid or not by just moving it around and squeezing it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any Idea what the test switch on the side of the ice maker is supposed to do when depressed?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If you hold it for 10 seconds then the icemaker should cycle and go through a cycle. But it really won't tell you much other than if it does cycle and fill with water then you know the water is working (it doesn't mean the water isn't working if it doesn't fill). And if the icemaker doesn't cycle after holding it, then your icemaker is definitely bad (but that doesn't mean the icemaker is good if it does cycle).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will it cycle with the refrigerator door open? If it does not cycle at all which is more likely, the ice maker itself or the selenoid in the back bottom of the unit?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
yes, it will cycle with the door open. If it doesn't cycle at all, then the icemaker itself needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The ice make is a samsung IMC701. Should the arm move down during the cycle as I hold the button in?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
yes, but it's a very slow cycle. It takes 2 minutes for the icemaker to circle all the way around and raise the arm up and then lower it again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took the ice maker out and defrosted it. I plugged it back in and hit the button on the side and now it is cycling. I put the ice maker back in and hit the button again and it cycled again. Water did dispense into the ice maker as well after the cycle of the arms. Have you heard of the Ice Maker itself freezing up??
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
yes, sometimes the icemaker will freeze itself, but it's usually very noticable if it's frozen solid.