Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool Imperial series high capacity 465 ,model#rf199lxht

I have a whirlpool Imperial series high capacity 465 ,model#rf199lxht 1. It has been doing strange things, like the display going crazy, locking the door by its self and I can't shut it off, I have to shut it off with the breaker. I turn it back on about 20 minutes later and PF comes on, I reset the clock and everything is fine. Now the broiler heating element doesn't work. I checked it and it's good. I also found that the element seems to always have 124 volts going to it when I power up the unit. I don't mean to the element, I mean I turn the breaker to the stove on. Is this suppose to happen?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Okay as far as the 124 V going to the elements that is normal, one side of the element always has voltage and then when you start the oven or the broil the clock sends the other 124 v to the element, this can vary it should be 120 V but depending on the voltage in the house it can be 124 volts at any rate this is normal so don't worry about that, the problem is the clock or otherwise known as the ERC (electronic range control) Circuit Board or Timer(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View

Control, range (biscuit)

Manufacturer Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN you need to order and replace the clock, this will take care the issue, thanks and best wishes, Bryan