Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Dishwasher is making buzzing sound during wash/rinse cycle

Dishwasher is making buzzing sound during wash/rinse cycle and during the initial draining period (the buzz stops about halfway through drain cycle). Looked in the bottom to see if something was stuck in there but don't see anything. The manual says buzzing sound probably indicates something stuck in food grinder and it will go away when it's ground up but doesn't seem to be doing that.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you're getting a grinding noise, chances are you'll need to have the seal and impeller kit replaced. This disposal spring tends to get jammed up and causes the motor to not work very well (or at all in some cases) and create a lot of noise. Below is a link to the impeller seal kit you'd want to order and replace for your dishwasher. It comes with instructions on how to install it.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does it matter if it seems to be spraying, draining, cleaning o.k. except for the noise? Also, the noise goes away about half way through the draining cycle--do you still think that impeller is the problem? Is this a simple repair for a novice?

Also, would it be ok to keep using it until we make the repair if it is the impeller?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I would say that it's still the impeller kit or possibly something is just stuck down inside the sump assembly and needs to be removed. You can continue using the dishwasher and it may jam up completely but it won't ruin anything worse than what is already on. You can take apart the pump assembly from the top down to check if you wanted to. It will need to be done anyways when you replace the impeller kit. And if you're handy you can replace this part yourself. Below is a breakdown of the pump if you wanted to start taking it apart from the top down to check for any blockage inside.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this require any special tools to replace impeller? Will we be able to tell if the impeller is defective if we take it apart?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no special tools are needed. And the impeller isn't really the defective part, it just comes in the kit. The metal spring (about the only metal part inside the pump assembly) is the part that gets wrapped up and goes bad. You can see just from looking at it that it will look different than the new part.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.