Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Bryan, you helped me before, now I am looking for another miracle.

Bryan, you helped me before, now I am looking for another miracle. Problem with a whirpool dryer not starting. I feel like there is a sensor that is not recognizing that the door is shut. It takes some slamming of the dryer door, and sometimes when i push the button to start the dryer it works, most of the time it does not. I have to repeattedly slam the door to the dryer to get it to start, and I am pushing the start button everytime. serial # XXXXX XXXXX it is an electric dryer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Good evening, let me take a look at your model and I will get back to you in just a few minutes. Thanks for asking for me again, talk in just a bit, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay I've got your information up on your dryer, from what you're saying I'm guessing it should door switch that's causing the issue, of course you won't see this whole thing you do see the black part sticking down from the top with the door shuts what I would like you to try is push that little black part in and out which your finger and tell me if it clicks every time. Also is the door shutting tightly does it look like it lines up correctly when it's shut, if not if you pushed in on the door doesn't start every time then? Because it could be that catch on the door that's not allowing the door shut tightly enough to keep the switch engaged, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan, You really are a great help. I found the black part, and it does indeed click everytime. the problem seems to be that my door is not hitting the switch. it seems that my door is to "short" and not engaging the switch.i will probably need to adjust the door would be my guess. I never even noticed the black switch until you told me about it. thanks for the answer
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay no problem I think what the issue is the door has a little latch part that goes into a catch on the machine these break and the door doesn't shut correctly because of that so probably when you hold the door in the machine starts every time if that's the case you will need to replace this, this assembly are catch piece is about $15 at the following link and there is a video to show you how to replace it if that helps, here's the link, this is what holds the door shut tightly and most likely that's the issue either that or your door is bent a little bit and it's not shutting either at the top of the bottom so it's not staying in tight but I believe you got a find the little catch these is the problem, let me know if that helps, thanks, Bryan