Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my maytag performa washer just stopped. no warning. now it

Customer Question

my maytag performa washer just stopped. no warning. now it won't drain. it won't do anything when you push the button. is it dead?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you get us the full model number?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i will check and see
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay just let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LA12300AAL
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does that help?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay where did you get that number? It's coming up a microwave, did you get it off the machine itself? If not try lifting the lid and seeing if there's a tag straight back in the middle with the full model number on it, or make sure you didn't miss a number if you did get enough the machine or a letter, if you don't see it under the lid look along the top of the control panel as if you were looking over the machine there may be a tag there with the model number on it. Let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i got it off the machine, but i will check it again. it is definitly not a microwave :)
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

LOL okay, this happens a lot, thanks Bryan

could it be LAT2300AAE ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, LAT2300AE
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay its your lid switch that's bad, these are not too difficult to replace I am going to get you some diagrams in just a few minutes and I will get you a link to a you can order this these are plastic and they tend to break inside and the whole machine will stop running if this switch goes, give me a few minutes look at some diagrams so I can explain how to replace it, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay I'm back, heres a diagram, the switch is bad number three on the diagram,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
unplug the machine and pull away from the wall and remove panel number nine along the back of the control panel, you will see the switch when you do that, it's very easy to replace you just unplug the switch and there is a release tab on the switch itself you push down in and pull the switch up and out, it's best to leave the lid open when you do this because you also need to replace the plunger rod shown in the picture also, it comes with instructions on how to replace it so it's not very difficult to do, you can order the switch at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Lid-Switch-Assembly/12001908/916383?modelNumber=LAT2300AAE this is extremely common problem on these machines and we replace a lot of these are the same reason you are explaining to us, you really can't test this because there are several different wiring configurations on the switch as you can see there is more than one terminal so there is really no way to test this particular switch it has different functions and on mostly switches there are only two terminals this one has four, I hope this information is useful thanks and well wishes, Bryan