Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The fridge side of my GE pss26mswc stopped working. I noticed

Customer Question

The fridge side of my GE pss26mswc stopped working. I noticed the top light went out last night. I thought no big deal. My wife got up 2 a.m. and noticed the fridge warm - 85 deg. The top (inside) of the fridge was very warm. I took off the light assembly-the surface behind the light was hot. I noticed the fan in the custgom cool unit has not run in the past 2 hrs. I put the light back together and the same bulb now works. Don't know why. Is this another defrost mother board issue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Okay is absolutely nothing running in this right now? No fans? N

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As far as I can tell - no fans, no cold air movement - only the lights work.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, you main control board has failed you probably had some kind of power surge or Spike, this is located on the back of the refrigerator if you pull away from the wall, there will be an 8 x 10" panel is behind that remove the cover and you will see it, you need to order and replace it these boards are prone to failure, GE had to redesigned these four different times because of failures, you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=PSS26MSWCSS or if you have an appliance parts supply house near your location they will stock this, the part # XXXXX XXXXX thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any thoughts about the light bulb or why it went out then came back on?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I think that was just coincidental, may have been just a little bit loose and when the board failed it went off so when you took it out and replace it, it went back on, but if nothing is running in the refrigerator itself it's the main board so you going to need to replace that. If you continue to have an issue with the bulb I would check the socket the bulb screws into make sure the center post hasn't bent into where it's not touching the center of the bulb and making a good connection, it's possible that had something to do that also so much sure you check that just make sure the refrigerator is unplugged and you may need to bend the center post back out a little bit and check to make sure it hasn't burned,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, thanks. I guess I need to unplug the fridge while replacing the board?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Oh yes you definitely have to unplug refrigerator before replacing it, it's fairly simple to replace and it comes with instructions so you shouldn't have any issues doing it, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Bryan,

I have replaced the control board with a new one per your instructions. It has been more half an hour and still no response from the fan or motor in the custom chill unit and no other air movement that I can detect. I left the fridge door open all day with the door switch clamped closed and the temp in the fridge got down to 58. Now the temp is actually rising when I close the door after replacing the control board. I have now spent $180 and don't seem to be any further along than I was 24 hours ago. What do you suggest.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI, Bryan,

It's actually been 3hours now since I replaced the control board and the fridge just continues to heat up. I cannot return the part since i Installed it. I need help to resolve this.

Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
This is not running at all? Sorry I wasn't on last night that late, that's really strange we go over the parts in this again, this so there's no fans or anything even starting on this?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Is the control lit up on the dispenser ?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Does it respond it all when you press any of the keys? Let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. The control panel on the dispenser is lit and functioning. Note: when I close the fridge door, the temp inside rises to 99 deg. When I leave it open with the door switch clamped closed, then the temp drops to 65. These temps are per the contol panel on the dispenser. Freezer is still working properly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Can you remove the bulb in the refrigerator section for like half of the day and tell me what it does? I'm wondering if this light is staying on when the door shut is the only way can get up to that high, the light so not heat and if the freezer is working properly we know the compressor is fine, is there any Frost on the back panel inside the freezer section behind the food?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I found the problem. After looking more closely at the fridge door switch I see that the rocker has been broken off from the switch. The pin is exposed, but it doesn't look "broken" because there are no broken parts showing. I was pushing in the pin without realizing the switch was broken. I removed the switch and will replace it later today. That explains the light staying on and the firdge getting hot inside.

As for your answer, I explained in my original submission that the inside surface of the fridge at the top was hot. I did not think about the light staying on and what could cause that, but as an expert I feel you should have explored that more fully before sending me to purchase a control panel. I think you looked at the most common sympton and the most common fix, then gave me the most common answer, which in this case was not correct.

In any case, if you can give me the part number for the fridge door switch, that would be helpful. Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes I will get you the part number, I'm sorry about the mix up with that, eventually probably sooner than later your board would have failed because they have had replace almost everyone of these boards in all of these refrigerators, something would've gone wrong with that probably in the near future at any rate, is this the light switch you need?

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
If so here is the part number WR23X10530 these only run about five dollars, have a good day and thanks for understanding, it's very difficult sometimes to get to the heart of the problem immediately and we go with what the usual issues are with these which is 99% of the time the control board, but like I said eventually you would've lost that board anyway they all fail and need to be redesigned so now you have the most recent redesign board that GE has come out with which we have had no issues with since. Thank you, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan, I found the door switch part myself and ordered it. I am really unhappy about purchasing the control board. I feel you did not explore the issue enough before recommending this action.

David Berges

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Personally, I would like a refund of my $30. Your expert recommended I purchase a $150 control panel when what I needed was an $8 door switch. Since the control panel is not a returnable item, I'm just out that money. The $30 refund will not offset that loss, but any amount will help.

Thank you,
David Berges
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For some reason, I just now saw your reply above about the light switch part and the control panel issues. Yes, that is the right part for the switch. If replacing the control panel now will save me headache and $$ in the future, then I am glad it's done now. Thanks for your help.