Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The spin and agitation cycles dont work because the break

The spin and agitation cycles don't work because the break will not release. I can spin it backwards and sometimes it will start to work than the break grabs it and stops the spin action. I have removed everything on top except the bottom basket and it seems to be glued in. Recommendations please.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you get us the full model number?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am at work right now and will respond this evening when I get home.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maytage Performa Model: PAV2300AWW Rev: 12 SN: 12887863ZB Heavy Duty 2 Speed 10 Cycle Rudy
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay I have it, you say this doesn't agitate either? Or is it just not spinning the brakes grabbing it stops or doesn't going at all? A little confused on that part, you saying the beginning that spin and agitate don't work, if it's just the spin that doesn't work let me know because this has a drive pulley with the drive helix in it that is the issue on the spin, it comes in a kit is fairly easy to replace, but if the agitate is not working also that's a different issue it could be that the transmission is gone, the brake doesn't control the agitate, so if it's not agitating it's not the brake system it's probably the transmission itself, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can sometimes get the drum to spin if I spin it backward or tip the drum to the side. Sometimes it will start to spin once or twice, but I have been able to get it to spin at high speed with an empty drum. Last time I washed cloth, the agitation worked and the water was drained out, but the close were soaking wet. I did not actually see it agitating after it started the the wash. I removed the top two drums (easily done), so now I have the last drum (plastic) still on so I cannot fill with water. Since the fill senser is just a pressure switch, I can varify if the agitation works if you will let me know what to short circuit on the switch. After that check I will let you know if agitation works. I have another question: if I get agitation, that it is apparent the break is the problem. do I have to replace the brake or can I just deactive and run the washer without a break?

Thanks, Rudy

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you need the drive pulley assembly,

Washer Transmission pulley & bearing repair kit. *Worn bearing causes slow or no spin, instructions included.

Manufacturer Number 12002213 you can order this @ it comes with instructions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. I went to the web site you refered to above and it did not have instructions on installation. Will the installation instructions be provided with the part, the instruction sheet shown doesn't have much instructions?

2. Last night I did a test. I bypassed the fill switch sensor and turned on the washer. The agitation on all wash cycles worked properly, but made a lot of noise. I put it into spin cycle and it ran fine until I stopped it and started it again and again. After a couple of time the brake or someting kicked in and stopped the drum from spinning.

3. Is your remedy still the same?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
That's difficult to say but I know for sure that the helix on that Pulley assembly is what usually causes it stops spinning and you may think it's the brake kicking and but it's really the helix not engaging the break but the helix does is pushes the shaft up and disengages the brake so basically yes that's what's going on, if the helix isn't doing it's job the brake will lock up, this is a huge problem with these machines and we do a lot of these are the exact same reason you are describing so my diagnosis is yes change the Pulley set up and it comes with the helix and the washers, the instructions do come with it and a little bit bag but they're not that difficult, you can do it and I'm sure you gonna be happy once you finish, it's fairly easy to do don't even have to take the machine apart just tip it back and lean it against the wall and of course secured so does it fall on you and just go right underneath take the little see clip off and make note of the washers in the order they go in on the old one as you take them off you can even leave them stacked if you want so you know which ones but back on first but the instructions tell you this anyway, thanks, Bryan