Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

On our ge stove we get a e7 error code, what is to be repl

Customer Question

On our ge stove we get a e7 error code, what is to be replaced?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Do you have a model number?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jgbp86ceb2cc i think
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay are you sure it's and E3 and not an F3 ? I'm not seeing an E3
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hubby says its F7
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Him okay that's much better,
F7 A = Function pad button stuck or
B = Bad clock
Unstick button or
Replace Electronic Range Control (ERC)

There is a way to test that if your husband can open the control panel, of course unplug the oven first let me know if he has tools probably just the screwdriver or a one quarter wrench nut driver.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Getting tools now
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, back panel off can see back of circuit
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

- Disconnect power to the range.
- Gain access to the back of the ERC (electronic range control, or "clock").
- Unplug the touch pad ribbon connector from the ERC. This will be a flat wire about 1 ½" to 2" wide.
- Make sure everything is clear and will not short out when power is turned back on. Replace any covers removed to gain access to the ERC

you're looking for the ribbon that runs from the keypad to the control board, it's like a computer ribbon flat and plugs into the board, unplug that from the board and turn the power back on after about 10 min.. If the F7 comes back up then the clock is bad if it doesn't the keypad is bad, in other words the F7 could be a shorted keypad or the ERC which is the clock. Try that let me know, thanks, Bryan

PS I have a feeling it's going to be the touchpad but just let me know.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Power is on and no error. Did see mention that it happens when the oven and stove top is being used and gets hot? Also, when it starts acting up, the ovven will just go into self cleaning by itsself. No matter what you push, it goes into self cleaning. Thats said, id agree the the keypad is bad.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yeah my guess a be the keypad, the keypad is shorting out and when you use the oven of course you get steam and heat that goes up into the control panel which probably makes it worse and that's probably what's shorting it out, poor design, at any rate, are you ready for the bad news? This is not cheap. Not sure how much you like your oven but this touchpad runs $283.00 at one site let me check a couple more, but it's probably still going to be over $200, before I do that this your touchpad look like this and is it the same color because sometimes they have different lists for the colors,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, thats it. In almond
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, i clicked accept answer. Can you send me details on ordering the unit. I will discuss with wife and see what she wants to do. Thank you for your help. Also, can i leave this plaugged in to use the stove?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can leave it plugged in to use the top part the burners, I will try to see what I get you for a price that seeped I can get a better price, I will be back in a few minutes with that information in the meantime this is the part number. WB57K10029, in case you want to do a quick search also, of the back shortly, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Actually I did find it for under $200.00 Sears has it on line for $184.99 which is probably as cheap as you got a find it, here's that link, keypad just click that blue link, thanks and happy new year, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much. I added a $25 bonus to your account. I will order the part tonight. Have a happy healthy and prosperous 2012.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much, you have a great New Year also, well wishes, Bryan