Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service

Can you advise how to remove the drain pump from a Kenmore

Customer Question

Can you advise how to remove the drain pump from a Kenmore HE2 plus washing machine? We are troubleshooting an F-21 error.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you. The lower access panel in the front is removed, the screws that hold it on are at florr level. Remove those screws and that front panel comes right off. The drain pump is right at the bottom and just behind that panel. If the unit is not draining the pump could be clooged, there is a cleanout on the pump that is just unscrewed slowly so you don't have a flood and then once the water has dripped out, then remove it and check for debris. Most of the time you don't need to remove the pump unless it's jammed up or bad. If you need further assistance I will need the complete model number, HE2 covers hundreds of different models.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tim. Thanks for the reply. Darren is looking for the manual to get you the model number, as it's written inside the washer and the washer door is locked. We tried cleaning out the drain filter - there was lots of stuff in there, so I'm sure it didn't hurt - but the water is still not draining and the pump is making an unfamiliar rattling-type noise. We wondered if there was something caught in the pump. Should we try something else first? When we tried to run the rinse/drain/spin cycle after cleaning out the drain filter, it ran for about 10 minutes and then we got an Sd error, followed by the f21 error again.

The model number is XXXXX (1,3, or 4)

Thanks!
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Ok it does sound like something could be jammed in the pump and or the actual impeller is broken. I am not sure how your pump is mounted but on most it is just one screw in front and then you just slide it forward and of course take the clamps off both of the hoses. Sometimes when you pull them off and look through the drain port on the right side of the pump you can see something impeding the impeller and remove and other times you can't. If it's making noise and nothing is obvious in the pump then replace it.
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, we have removed the pump and we don't see anything amiss. We also removed the drain hose and cleaned out only a small amount of gunk with a plumber's snake. Perhaps we have a bad pump. Is there any way for us to test the pump motor? We don't have any way of (safely) sending power to it.

BTW, I don't have to click "accept answer", correct? I think we signed up for a subscription.

Thanks again :^)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
P.S. Is there a way to override the door lock mechanism and get our clothes out??
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The door lock has a release right below the actual lock assy, you will have to reach up and feel for the release and pull it straight down to release the lock.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Tim! Happy New Year...
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome, thank you and have a happy new year.