The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business repairing Washing Machines etc etc.
12112589

Laundry question: When my washer spin cycle finished the

Laundry question:

When my washer spin cycle finished the noise is very loud. Only on the stopping of the spin cycle does this occur. It seems to me that either there's a brake/clutch that is not functioning properly or it is catching on something when stopping. Could this be the problem or maybe something else? Will it affect the washer in the future?

Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 2 years ago.

The Famous Forry :

Hi to you from David ,'The Famous Forry'

The Famous Forry :

New Year Greetings to you and your family.

Customer: Happy new years to you and you're as well thanks.
The Famous Forry :

This may be your bearings or as you suspect the brake binding on to tightly. How old is your appliance and has it ever been serviced?

Customer: The house was built in 2003 I suspect it has been here since then, purchased new by previous owner. I have owned it since 06 and no we have never had it serviced.
The Famous Forry :

Whirlpool/Kenmore Washing Machine Drive Motor Coupler Replacement (part #285753A) - YouTube It may be the motor coupler worn. Here is how to change/replace. Please click the link.

Customer: Thanks. Will watch now.
The Famous Forry :

Great video. Should help you a lot. Please remember to Isolate from the electric before attempting any repairs.

Customer: Is the Kenmore in this video and the coupler the same as a whirlpool coupler.
The Famous Forry :

Yes I believe there quite universal

Customer: Could this be the only issue?
The Famous Forry :

Well not exactly as it may be your pump rotor also, but if you follow this tutorial you will discover the problem as you go, whilst servicing your appliance at the same time and gaining a better understanding of the workings for future repairs if needed.

Customer: Finally, are these all things I can replace individually without having to purchase a new unit?
The Famous Forry :

Yes all the parts are available seperately. If you require any more help please just ask regards David.

Experience: I have my own business repairing Washing Machines etc etc.