Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Whirlpool gold frig not cooling. Freezer works fine but frig

Customer Question

Whirlpool gold frig not cooling. Freezer works fine but frig portion is at room temp. No noises or smell, just doesn't cool. Model MGX5SHTXVYOO, 25 Cu Ft, with freezer on bottom. Suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

First look in the freezer at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere on the lower rear wall? Any at all, there should be nothing but small icy drops.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not see any frosty spots on the back wall in the freezer. The fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the top at the wall somewhere is a small sticker with a model number. Please could you double check the model number in the fresh food side.

In the top rear of the fresh food section there should be a vent. With the freezer door closed can you feel light air flow from that vent? Open the freezer door, do you feel air flow then?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model GX5SHTXVYOO The kast digit looks like a "O" but tough to tell. No air movement with the freezer open or closed.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok I can work out the zero's and the O's. Thank you.

Give me a few minutes to look at the style of refrigerator you have and the parts that are in it.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
In the top rear of the fresh food section near the rear of the ceiling is the assembly in the diagram below. The part thats arrowed blue snaps out, you need something thin to get it out with. Then you can remove the screws to get to the part thats arrowed red. Get to that part and see if the door that rotates open is closed and if its frozen or stuck closed. Take your time and let me know what you find.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Was able to remove the assembly and get to the door. The door is open almost all the way.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Wow and there is not any air flowing?

There is an air return and if I remember correctly in the rear corners of the floor of the fresh food section under the drawers at the bottom, are those clear?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No air flowing up from the freezer but the door is open. I don't see any return in the floor of the frig portion or anywhere is for that matter. The design of the unit is french doors in the frig and the freezer below.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Its right there where the red arrow is drawn in the rear corner.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found the returns. Two of them on the right and left at the very back of the frig.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Great and they are clear? If so look very close at the rear inside wall of the freezer for a light coat of frost, make sure the fan is blowing air out of the vent in the freezer.

If the wall is clear and the fan is blowing there is an ice blockage somewhere in the duct coming from the freezer to the fresh food section. Your only choice will be to unplug and defrost for 12 hours with the doors open to clear that duct. What can cause that problem is a door being left open just a crack for an hour will do it.

That will take care of the problem. As far as I can tell and everything we have been over thats the only thing that can be wrong.

Please ask if you have questions,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The returns are clear so I will defrost the unit. The door being open for a while is possible since the doors are sometimes left open a crack due to the french door design.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I understand, it happens and it happens mostly to models that have a bottom freezer. We went through the parts that control the airflow and airflow ducts the best that can be done. The damper was open indicating the temperature sensor knows its too warm, its just not getting the air from the freezer. I really believe that will take care of it.

Thank you for the opportunity and Happy new year!

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Barry, Your suggestion of defrosting the frig as it was probably blocking cold air from getting from the freezer was correct. I attempted to leave you a tip and leave feedback but JustAnswer said I was not able to. Not sure why. Thanks again.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I really appreciate the thought. That was very nice of you. If someday you ever have time and if you visit facebook we are there. It would be nice to see a happy customer comment, we don't get enough of those. http://www.facebook.com/justanswer

You take care and thank you for the opportunity.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Barry, I have had an ongoing issue with the frig portion of my Whirlpool gold unit. The frig section goes warm every few days. The advice you gave me of thawing out the unit because the door may have been left open and therefore creating ice in the supply from the freezer was correct. The problem is, I don't believe I am constantly leaving the door open but I have to thaw the unit every few days. My question is, is there anything I can do to prevent the supply from fereezing and the frig not getting cold every few days? Humidity control, turning down the cold in the frig, turning up the cold in the frig, etc? You answered my original question back on Jan 1st. Thanks.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I don't know of any defrost part that would break and cause it every few days. And that would be the only other thing that would cause a blockage. The shortest amount of time would be 10 days for a broken defrost part. Is that happening right now? Today?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am noticing the frig is warmer than normal right now. Still somewhat cold but very similar to the problem when I frist contacted you. So it has been 19 days since the last time it got warm and I had to trhaw it out.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX time, and during that time there was no excess frost on the top of the freezer food or the ceiling of the freezer?

Also take a look at the bottom of the freezer door, open it up and check the gasket on the bottom is that loose?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I have never noticed any frost. Gaskets on all three doors are good. I have notcied the section that flips open between the two frig doors always seems very hot. Don't know if this normal or not.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes the heat there is normal. I know you may have already done this, can you see any frost on the rear wall of the freezer, almost like textured paint again? I am a little slow I am getting a procedure ready for you to do if you see frost there.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there is a small (1/16") frost buildup on the back wall of the freezer. It comes off easily when rubbed. Didn't notice it before.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thats the problem, its not defrosting. I need to find a document. Give me some time.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Just so I'm clear, it's not a lot of frost, just a thin coating on the entire back wall.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I understand. When you can see it on the outside its really thick behind that wall. Do you have an ohm meter?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Understood. Yes, I do. May need a little help using it.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There is a way to program in the forced defrost to see if it defrosts, the problem is I remember how to get you in it but I do not remember how to get you out of it and I have a ton of manuals for that style of refrigerator and so far I have not found the one with the correct control. If you would rather do it that way we can it could take me a few hours to find it, I would have to do that in the morning.

Unplug the refrigerator. Look on that board and you should see one of the connectors or on the board labled J-1. Find the brown wire on that connector and set your meter to ohms. Put one probe on the brown wire and with the other probe rotate through the 2 power prongs on the cord you removed from the wall outlet skip the ground.

You let me know which way, either way is fine with me.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I could wait untilo tomorrow as I would like to make sure I can shut off the defrost after getting into it. I could remove the piece as shown on your diagram tomorrow morning and start with the test.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes that would be a good idea, that really is a good test and its much better. You do not have to take it apart to do that test. Its all programming. I will find it and get it scanned for you.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you saying I don't need to remove the part as shown in your diagram to find the connector?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Nope when I find that sheet it will be all done by pushing buttons on the control, that will activate the defrost and will locate the area to go.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good. Then I think I will hold off doing anything until I hear from you. What time (EST) would you like me by my computer tomorrow?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Anytime after 8am I will dig a little more tonight and if I have not found it I will get up early, I break between 11 and 1 pm and then on again until 9pm. Your choice.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll get on at 9 and see if you've got anything. Thanks.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok see you then, have a great night.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
After finding the procedure I now know why I could not remember how to exit the defrost mode. You do not, its a timed cycle, you start it then it runs and after a period of time exits. Run the procedure below. Have the freezer door light switch taped shut so the light will stay off when you open that door. Once you have started wait about 5 minutes. In the freezer behind the rear inside freezer wall is a heater, after about 5 minutes you should occasionally hear the hiss and drip of water dripping on that heater. Do you hear that? You may have to try more than once. Click just below.
==================================================================

CLICK HERE

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Barry, I got into forced defrost mode fine. I have gone through a couple cycles since the unit turns back on every 10 minutes or so. No hissing or dripping sounds yet so I'll go through a few more cycles and see what happens.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, there are some website issues going on. I am here and as soon as I can I will post or read. I am watching and wanted you to know.

I have been trying to add this last step to my post but have been unsuccessful you may already be getting there anyway but its below.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once the desired mode is displayed, confirm the forced defrost by pressing the Refrigerator down Key once. The defrost will begin immediately and the display will return to a normal operating display with set point values
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I hit the last (-) button to cinfirm the frig is in defrost mode. At that point the number '5' comes on the frig temp setting and the unit sounds lie it is shutting off. 10 minutes later the unit turns back on and I go through the same process again. Still no sounds of melting and the frost is still on the back wall.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok well that sounds like the problem is in the freezer. Pictured below is the defrost heater arrowed red and the thermostat arrowed blue. You set your meter to ohms and read each one seperately, the defrost thermostat must be frosty cold to test. Unplug the refrigerator before you start. Also before you start testing if you look you will see a main wire connector also behind that rear wall give that a tug to see if its loose, and as you get ready to test the heater and thermostat be sure to tug those wires first to see if they are loose. Look inside the wire connectors for ice, that is a clue to a poor connection. All of that is behind the rear inside wall in the freezer.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I've had the unit unplugged for a couple of hours now. My thought is to thaw it out completely so I can put items back in the frig. Looks like I will have a week or so to fix the issue before it frosts back up on me. How do I get to behind the rear inside wall in the freezer?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I cannot tell from the diagram how the freezer door comes off, there are so many different styles I just do not know which it is.

If you have an ice maker in the freezer most always there are 2 1/4 inch screws at the top over it. Loosen those, sometimes there is one under the bottom. Remove that one. Lift the ice maker off. Follow the wiring harness back to the rear freezer wall. There may be a zip tie there holding the connector, cut it off and unlock the connector then pull. That will get the ice maker out.

Holding the rear wall are screws that will need to be taken out. Then the wall can come out.

Be sure that when you test the thermostat its frosted cold. A reading is good and no reading is bad at any ohm setting on your meter.

The heater is the same, the only difference is that the heater does not have to be cold.

Barry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still working on getting the slide out drawer off the track to get some access to the screws.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I cannot tell which you have, the diagrams are pretty sad. You would think this day and age there would be clear color pictures.

Barry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I send you a picture I took?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There should be a paper clip in the area where you type a post. The picture needs to be sized below 1000 x 1000 jpg or gif.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you see photos 1639 , 1640 , 1641 and 1642? The last four in the folder.

http://www2.snapfish.com/bellsouth/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=8031534009/a=73380807_73380807/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=bellsouth/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've sent three photos of the trrack system for the pull out door and drawer. There doesn't seem to be any release to pull them out completely, like you would find in a kitchen drawer. Will be a pain to get to the back wall without getting these out. I know they come out but. . . . .

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thats good hang on a few minutes I have something thats really gonna help you out. Its gonna take a bit to get formatted and uploaded.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

great.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok click just below and download and watch that.

CLICK HERE.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, drawers and door are out. I'll remove the icemaker and the back wall panel.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok great, I was hoping that was the right video, it looked like it was, and it was lucky too that was the only video of a bottom drawer removal that I have.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, got the ice maker out and 4 screws out of the back panel. The air vent seems to be holding the back wall on. I assume there is a plastic clip to remove it from the wall? Don't see it.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Looks like there are 2 of them right in the plastic part right where the plastic grille is. Probably made into it and all one piece.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, got the back panel off. The bottom of the coils is still covered with ice. All connections seem solid. What's next?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ohm the 2 parts in the diagram, one is attached to the top of the coils and the other runs along the bottom of the coils and the wires up the sides.
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the diagram you attached below your last message? If so, which item numbers in the diagramm? Or, the diagramm you sent at 9:41 this morning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Barry, With the symptoms of the frig and knowing what we know, is there some obvious parts that are causing the problem? If so, at this point I would not mind pursuing purchasing thenm online. I could resume with the tests you mentioned but was just thinking if it comes to 1 or two parts at this point, I would just buy them now.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There are 3 possible parts, the board, which I do not believe is the problem and if you have doubts you can make the ohm measurement above at the J-1 connector, brown wire to the power cord that plugs into the wall outlet to double check. I would expect you to get no reading. In that case one of the two parts in the freezer is bad. The heater or the thermostat.

The heater in the freezer is 67002493 arrowed red below. ONLINE HERE

The defrost thermostat is W10165425 and arrowed blue. ONLINE HERE

If you get a reading then I would be mistaken and the board you made the measurement from will be bad.

The part number for the control board is 12868513. ONLINE HERE.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great. Thanks. I'll order the two parts after checking the readings.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
That would be the thing to do, you can defrost your refrigerator again and it will cool as long as it did the last time. I was trying to help you save money and not mistakenly order and install a part you did not need. Its too easy in my opinion to jump and say you need this or you need that when if you have been in as many homes as I have you know better than to do that. And most times that type of problem really is caused by an open door. In any case I appreciated your patience and thank you for having the confidence to return. I will always do the very best I can to help you get to the bottom of the problem.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Barry, gvie me instructions again on how to check the two parts regarding where and the probes and what to do specifically with the ohm meter. Thanks.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There are 2 ways, one is in the fresh food section the other is in the freezer at the bottom.

Pictured below is the defrost heater arrowed red and the thermostat arrowed blue. You set your meter to ohms and read each one seperately, the defrost thermostat must be frosty cold to test. Unplug the refrigerator before you start. Also before you start testing if you look you will see a main wire connector also behind that rear wall give that a tug to see if its loose, and as you get ready to test the heater and thermostat be sure to tug those wires first to see if they are loose. Look inside the wire connectors for ice, that is a clue to a poor connection. All of that is behind the rear inside wall in the freezer.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got it. Thanks again. Just curious on the "Justanswer" policy. Do I pay again for this round of answers? When I first signed up, I thought it was $34 for a month trial of unlimited answers. It's fine if I do, as a matter of fact I'm very happy with the service. Just kind of new to the site.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
No you do not, your followup question does fall in the 30 day followup response period. You are fine. You and your family have a nice weekend.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Barry,

I have ordered and received this morning the two parts you suggested I replace. . ..

The thermostat looks fairly straightforward in replacing two wire connections. The heater element looks a little more challenging. Looks like I will need to pull the coils and get behind them to place the new element in behind. Is this true? If so, can you get me started? Thanks.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
The coils are sitting on plastic parts attached to the back of the freezer, you have to lift and then pull forward. Very carefully tilt the bottom of those coils toward you just enough to get that heater off the bottom. No more, you need to watch the lines coming through the rear wall , do not kink those. Just be gentle and if you get frustrated take a break. Its a tough position to be in anyway.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lift and pull forward the plastic parts holding the coils or the coils themselves?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There is a hook kind of that the coils rest behind. Lift the coils over that hook. Its in the posts where the screws were I believe.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All installed. Thanks
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity. Have a really nice weekend.

Barry