Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My freezer is no longer keeping cold enough and am unable to

My freezer is no longer keeping cold enough and am unable to produce ice. Amana Bottom freezer, Model BC121v1w. The bottom freezer is set to 7 coldest setting and is approx. 25 degrees. The fridge is set to 5 setting and is 28 degrees and seems to work fine.
Submitted: 5 years ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the fridge was 28 degrees, everything would be freezing---can you check that temperature again?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the fridge is 28 degrees. the freezer is not working. My freezer food is not frozen, the ice maker is not allowing water into ice tray, because the freezer temp is not cold enough. the fridge is 28 degrees. I bought a new themometer and have checked. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is cold.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
your milk would be an ice cube if your refrigerator was 28 degrees. Your refrigerator is NOT 28 degrees if everything isn't frozen solid. Freezing is 32 degrees. Regardless of the actual temperature inside the refrigerator, if it's normal (and normal is about 38 degrees) then you have an issue with your sealed system. You'll need to pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel. Check to make sure the condenser fan next to the compressor is running. If the fan isn't running the either remove the blockage or replace the fan motor. Clean the coils under the refrigerator and if your unit still doesn't cool down, you'll need to call a technician out to check the freon pressure because you either have a freon leak or your compressor is inefficient and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX correct the fridge temp. is 38 degrees. My bad. Thanks for the advice.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no problem and good luck.