Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

When I turn on my JennAir range, the flames start very low

When I turn on my JennAir range, the flames start very low and take 2-3 min to build up to full heat; is this a pressure issue? How can I adjust/resolve?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Do ALL burners do this the same? And when you turn one on and it builds to full flame, if youturn another on, what happens?

Customer:

Yes all burners will do the same. Once the initial burner(s) come to full strength, any follow-on burners will turn on full right away... have only had the unit a year or so.

Repairman1981 :

Sounds like a bad regulator

Repairman1981 :

Once you get it flowing then you are good, that is why subsequent burners light fine

Repairman1981 :

The regulators aren't expensive but if you have to pay someone to change it gas work is pricey

Repairman1981 :

Can you change it yourself?

Customer:

Probably - installed the unit myself...

Repairman1981 :

Yeah you put the regulator on at some point then anyway

Customer:

is this at all a safety issue? Something I need fixed ASAP?

Repairman1981 :

Not really, but it will likely get worse

Repairman1981 :

If you smell no gas, your not in danger

Repairman1981 :

If you had a leak it would likely stay low not build up, there is a spring in the regulator, that once it starts flowing it seems to open the spring farther and work.

Repairman1981 :

It's likely that spring will start sticking and cut the gas off all the way

Customer:

leaks were the first thing I checked... then my other heaters to ensure they were working fine.

Repairman1981 :

I do tell people on here to turn the unit off and call for service ASAP ..... However your seriously not in danger, I would use this in my home this way until I got a day off and time to do it

Repairman1981 :

I wouldn't plan on leaving it for years, it won't work that long, but I would use it days or maybe weeks

Customer:

Thanks - appreciate the help.

Repairman1981 :

I can't seem to find a regulator for you, but take yours off and goto the parts house (appliance not home depot) and they will have one, There are only 5-10 different ones, and all parts houses stock them all

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands