Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my amana freezer is not staying cold enough. the fan is on,

Customer Question

my amana freezer is not staying cold enough. the fan is on, the light is on, but it is not staying cold enough. what should I do? it is an amana bx21tw.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the refrigerator still cooling properly? It's just the freezer that is getting warm?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, the fridge is still cooling properly. It is just the freezer that is getting warm. And the freezer is still cold, but just not freezing. Mushy ice cream, ice cubes not frozen solid, etc.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok then you have an issue with your sealed system. You'll need to pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel. Check to make sure the condenser fan next to the compressor is running. If the fan isn't running the either remove the blockage or replace the fan motor. Clean the coils under the refrigerator and if your unit still doesn't cool down, you'll need to call a technician out to check the freon pressure because you either have a freon leak or your compressor is inefficient and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the fan is running, so the only thing I should try to do is to clean the coils under the fridge?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
that's the only thing you can do yourself. Anything to do with the sealed system itself and you need a license to work on it.