John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have an Amana washing machine that is not working - model

Customer Question

I have an Amana washing machine that is not working - model # XXXXX I think there is something wrong with the timer knob or the control unit behind it. When you turn the washer to the desired setting and pull out the knob to start it, the washer does not start and the knob makes a humming noise like it is trying to do something but it cannot. Recently my wife has claimed to have smelled something like it was burning coming from the washer. I removed the top of the washer and was able to remove the knob. However I cannot seem to get the control unit off the back. There was one screw on it, which I removed, but it still wont come off. I dont want to break it, so I just thought I would ask someone else. I figured if I removed it, I might be able to see whats wrong. ANy suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is Bryan,I look forward to helping you today.

is this putting water in at all ? have you check to make sure the water didn't accidentally get shut off? is it a buzz you hear? is it comming from the fill valve area? where the hoses hook up ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is currently water in it yes. I was doing a load of laundry today. I started the load and the water filled up and it was working fine. Then I found a couple more things that I wanted to put in so I did. When I closed the lid back it did not start back up as it should. I tried to move the knob to drain the water out, but it will still not start no matter where the knob is set too. So no, I know the water is not shut off. And yes it is a buzzing/huming sound. But it is coming directly from the timer knob that controls the settings
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry i will need to opt out of this, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok. so does that mean someone else will take over this then?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have figured this out so someone can close out this question. Thanks though.