Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My whirlpool microwave over range oven made a crackeling sound

Customer Question

My whirlpool microwave over range oven made a crackeling sound and now it will not heat.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The crackling noise before hand was the magnetron arcing out before it failed completely. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $100-150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I locate remove and replace the magnetron since this microwave is only 2 years old and cost me $499.00 ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
You will need to un-install the entire microwave to access the magnetron. It's located behind the control panel area so you will need to remove the entire outer shell of the microwave to see and replace the magnetron. Below is a link to the part you'd need to replace. And for some reason on this particular model the magnetron is only about $60 so it would definitely be worth repairing.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Before I purchase a new magnitron I checked with an ohm meter as follows:

red ohm meter lead to red magnitron lead and black ohm meter lead to black magnitron lead....result about 1/2 ohm,

black ohm meter lead to red magnitron lead and red ohm meter lead to black magnitrton lead....result about i/2 ohm.

Both magnitron leads black then red to ground.... reading infinite ohms (no needle movement).

Do you still suggest a new magnitron?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, there is no way to test and make sure the magnetron is good, you can only test to make sure the magnetron is definitely bad. In other words just because it tests good does not mean it's good.