Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a Kenmore Coldspot Refridgerator. There is water dripping

I have a Kenmore Coldspot Refridgerator. There is water dripping from the rear of the Refridge under the freezer. Does this mean the heater assy is n/g or is it possible the elctronic module defective?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Your defrost drain is clogged. Instead of the water going down the defrost drain in the freezer its going through the freezer floor. Unplug the refrigerator.

In the freezer remove the parts with the red arrows. That is the back wall and airflow duct.

Behind those parts is the evaporator coil that defrosts about every 10 hours. The drain for the defrost is in the floor directly under those coils, its just about the size of a dime. Dig out all the ice and clear that hole.

Once you get that done pour a little warm water down it to be sure its clear. If its not clear find something flexible and push down through it a couple of inches.

Go around behind your refrigerator and remove the lower panel then find the tube that comes out just over the drain pan. If there is a small amount of water in that pan you will be done. The water that drains into that pan evaporates.

That will take care of it, if you have further questions please ask.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
One other thing, I do not think anything you did caused the problem unless maybe you knocked the strap loose from the heater if there was one there (there is not one shown in the diagrams). Some models do not have them. If you continue to have a problem with it you can get a strap and attach it to the bottom of the heater. The other end hangs into the defrost drain hole. That way when the defrost cycle is on that strap allows the water to carry some heat into the drain preventing it from freezing. I have it linked below. You will not need the collar for the type of heater you have.

CLICK HERE.

Barry