Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Frigidaire PLES399ECD electric range. I am trying

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire PLES399ECD electric range. I am trying to use the self cleaning feature. The clock is set, and the oven will lock when using the lock feature. However, when I press either of the three self cleaning buttons, it just beeps three times and does not enter self cleaning mode.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Okay when used first set the clock you set the time for the clean cycle? Like two hours or so and then when you press the start button it does not start?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. The manual says to set the clock to the correct time. It was already set correctly, but since the feature didn't work I set again. Then it states to press one of the three self cleaning buttons. It states that when I press "CLEAN" the display should then show 3 hours and CLN. Then it says to press "START". However, when I press "CLEAN", I just get 3 beeps. Nothing shows on the display

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay so the buttons are not responding to commands when you press clean? I believe you said above that the door does lock is that correct? How old is this range it looks fairly new although I don't have the exact year it was made, is this the first time you've ever used the self clean feature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The range is about 6 or 7 years old as it was installed when the house was built. We are the second owners, and this is the first time we have tired to use the self cleaning function. The door lock function does work. I checked that because I figured if that didn't work then the "safety" feature would prevent the self clean from working. However, the lock function works correctly.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
that's not good news, is there a light on the control that says the door is locked? This can only be one of two things either the microswitch on the door lock assembly is not sending a signal to the control saying it's locked or the control is bad, in order to test the switch you would need a voltmeter and would need to get to the door latch/lock assembly on this, this can be a major undertaking on this range, usually the top has to be lifted to do it. If you don't think you can get to it or don't have a voltmeter and know how to test the switch than that's a real problem and you would need to call for service, you want to make sure it's not the switch before replacing a very expensive control,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no way of doing anything further
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
You don't think you can take this apart? Or you don't dare try? I'm doing my best for you but unfortunately tests have to be done to see where the issue was it's going to be one or the other either the control or the lock even though the lock locks doesn't mean the switches working tell them the board that's locked, that's usually what happens when you get the three beeps like that something is not communicating with the board. I'm sorry I can't do more I wish there was a couple of buttons you could push to fix it but unfortunately if the door locks the controls telling it to lock then it's not some kind of a lockout on the control itself, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate your help
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
No problem, very best wishes, hopefully it turns out to be just the lock switch, have a very happy new year, thanks, Bryan