Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag Neptune, MAH8700AWW. After checking the wiring

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Neptune, MAH8700AWW. After checking the wiring connections, I have replaced the motor and door lock switch as referred to on many forums talking about repairs for a 3e code displayed. I am still receiving the code 3e. I am not shooting in the dark, as the forums say this should already be fixed. I have priced out a bilge pump, control panel, and a water pressure sensor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Machine control

is attempting to

drive the motor

but is not seeing

any tach

response. Visual
check shows
motor is not
moving. A

s not

moving. (Locked,

Hall Sensor fault)

If you have replaced the motor it's the board that's not sensing the tachometer in the motor which is the Hall sensor, check the plugs between the motor and the main control board and motor control board, make sure there not loose or corroded, it's not sensing that the motor is moving, let me know if you find any loose plugs or wires already corrosion on any of them, HQ contact cleaner works good for cleaning these plugs try that and see if that straightens away your problem, let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Initially, I checked the wiring connections, and all were tight. There is no build-up, dirt, nor moisture on any part; I could have thought I was working on a 1 week old machine. The motor turns the belt, flywheel, and drum without problem. More than one forum for a "3e" code referenced the motor, with a few mentioning the internal hall for my year model was at fault. After replacing the motor, I received the code on the very first code. Those same forums talked about the door lock "being the culprit about 40% of the time"; needless to say, I replaced the door lock. At this point, I still received the code, and pulled the drain pump out to clean it, and check for a wobble, or grains stopping the impeller. When all the parts were hooked back up, the code popped up on the display, "3e". Every time I start any wash cycle, the code pops up at minute 44 of 56, minute 32 of 45, minute 10 of 33, minute 8 on spin only, and minute 1 on any cycle after I nurture it past the intial code throw.

I went to forums over the last 2-1/2 hours prior to clicking on the "Maytag: Just Answer" link on a search engine page. I cannot decide whether I have to replace the "water pressure sensor", "drain pump assembly", or "control panel".

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Well does it even get to the drain cycle? Have you checked power to the drain when it's supposed to be draining? This does add water and starts to agitate back and forth is that correct? I'm trying to get a grasp of exactly what's going on in this but when I was looking at the service sheets it was a direct point to your Hall sensor on the motor but since you replace that because it comes with the motor I don't believe that's the issue I believe the board is the issue, but you need to check some other things like whether you're getting power to the drain pump just before spin cycle and also is it draining, the pressure switch does trigger the spin cycle once the switch is disengaged when the water is drained, these are important things to check, let me know if you have or if you can, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I hear it begin to fill, and it will throw a code. Sometimes it is in the middle of the agitation cycle and it throws a code. Other times, I can hear the cycle draining the water when it throws the code. As far as checking power, I cannot find the tech sheets with wiring diagrams to help me with my DVOM. The only information I can find, even on Maytag's sight is part listings. I can figure out the grounds, but the power supplies to the different components are probably frustrated me. The technician that did come out before replacing the motor tested wires for about ten, or fifteen, minutes. When he was done, he decided it was the motor's hall.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry they wont let us copy the manual or send it , my guess is the control is bad

, you can try replacing the pressure sensor though , thats what I would do next.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since that was the cheapest of the three possibilities, that was already in "the cart" for purchase in the other web browser tab. Without a tech chart, I don't even diagnose vehicles' electrical systems where I work at. Is there not a common reference chart showing probabilities of parts for this code (3E).

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Display "E3"
Evaluate wire
harness for loose or
Replace machine
control board if
deemed necessary.

that is all it say in the tech sheet, this is the machine control board. this is expensive however, you replaced the other possibility's so thats all thats left.