Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The door wont close properly

The door won't close properly
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Most of the time bending the door catch (strike) will straighten this problem out I'm not sure which way you would need to give it a little bend either up or down, this is what the strike looks like, it's in the very top center front of the machine this is what slides into your latch assembly and locks it a lot of times these get bent up or down, try adjusting it a little bit each way by bending it either down or up, try the door as you do this until you get it so it locks, if that doesn't work you will probably need to replace the latch assembly, this is located inside the door so you would need to remove all the screws around the door on the inside and lift the panel up to access this. Here is a link to order this part if you need it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Latch-Assembly/8193830/961514?modelNumber=KUDP01FLBL3 I hope this helps, thanks and happy New Year's, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bent it down and it didn't help, but I can't bed it up so it stays
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay is it sliding into the door at all the latch assembly part just not catching?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't tell cause I can't see it - the kitchen counter extends over it.

But when I push it closed , I can see the latch is moving up.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay what I would do to start with is to replace the strike plate first, usually this is the issue it may be just vent to the point where you can't straighten it enough for it to latch, here is a link where you can order the part. to replace this you may need to take the two screws out holding the dishwasher to the counter top, and move it out just a bit so you can get the new one in after you remove the old one, part link , 90% of the time this is the issue, thanks and happy new year, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just noticed something - my latch wasn't coming out straight like the one in the picture, it was bent up at 90 degrees. So I pulled it out so it was straight and I guess I pulled it too far cause it closed, but when I pulled it open (it was hard to open) it was then bent down 90 degrees.

I have it now where it seems to be straight and it closes - it seems ok but it opens very easily. Maybe it always did.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
That usually what happens is these to get bent down and so they don't go straight into the lock assembly is it running now, if so try running a load it should be fine, these don't usually latch to tightly and are fairly easy to open so it seems you have the problem squared away as long as the machine starts, thanks and happy new year, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Bryan - it's working and all seems well. I'm happy :) And Happy New Year to you too.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Your very very welcome, please don't forget to press the green accept button, it's the only way us techs get paid, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.