Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a monogram cooktop #ZGU375NS. Suddenly none of the igniters

Customer Question

I have a monogram cooktop #ZGU375NS. Suddenly none of the igniters will spark. earlier this am the red indicators lights had dim flikering glow when turnewd on. But that no longer happens. The plug is ok. But the circuit breaker was thrown this am. Can I take the top off and check the wires???Norman Miller Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is Bryan,I look forward to helping you today.

The first thing you will need to do is to check power to the spark module,

number 28 on this diagram also you want to check power to number 29 which is the transformer, these are under the top, make sure you are getting power to these let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I get under the top. Lift the entire top out by loosening the thumb screws underneath??? Then I have to deal with the gas line!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you will need to remove the screws on the top of the unit that hold the burners to the top, you can see them in this picture, once you have release those you also have to remove your knobs the burners have screws holding the top . once you have those removed you should be able to lift the top directly off leaving the rest of the unit in the counter top,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ill get back to you thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
cannot get center [main] burner bolt out ...it spins, this is turning into a disaster. what next please
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
that screw has to come out to get the top up unfortunately , can you get a hold of it withe a pair of pliers and turn it while pulling up? sometimes these can turn into a nightmare . sorry this evens happens to us techs.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any other ideas? Tried the pliers etc. What holds the"sleeve"in place? Why does it spin if it is held in place by something....Sorry but I am determined to fix this. A little OCD I guess. If I get it off then Ill need to replace the electrical. Thanks and keep helping if you can. Happy New Year. You will be paid 30 dollars regardless. That's the price, right?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Boy the only way to get this off is probably drill it at this point but then you may have to replace the burner to if you do that. This can be a real difficult situation and I love to tell you a simple way to do it but unfortunately there isn't any easy answers to that the screw is stripped so you would need to get it out somehow, I just don't know how to tell you to do it, if you can drill it you can get it out you may have enough left we you can me It it's aluminum but that screw goes into so it's pretty easy to read But I'm not sure how you gonna get the original screw out, thanks, Bryan