Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  Install, repair and trouble shoot
26609390

I have a Bosch dishwasher (unsure how old - ??at least 5 years?).

I have a Bosch dishwasher (unsure how old - ??at least 5 years?). Model no. SG14345AU/38 (FD no. 8302). Dishes are not cleaned. When turned on, I can hear water noises, and the machine seems to be running. When I open the door after the cycle finishes, the dishes are not clean, but a bit damp & warm (inside of the machine is humid). The detergent dispenser is still full. There is some water at the bottom of the machine.
I have checked the drainage, but it seems ok. The filters have been cleaned. I tried to do an "empty" run, with just liquid dishwasher cleaner (the type that is in plastic container that you tip upside down & place in plate rack) - the cleaning solution is still in the bottle at the end of the run.
Do you think it is a pump problem? Is this fixable, and how much roughly? Or do I need to buy a new machine?
(I realise you may not be able to answer all the questions just with the info I have provided, but I appreciate your advice.)
Thank you very much. (Happy New Year!)
Camille Wu
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

If the washer is getting the dishes wet all over, the the spray arms are working. If not, then the spray arms are plugged up and need cleaning.

The most likely cause is the water pump going bad and not creating enough water preasure to clean the dishes.

If thw washer is at least 5 years old i would think about replacement. The pump replacement will run you at least $250.00.

I would just put that money towards a new washer. At the end of the repair, you still have an older washer that will break down again sooner rather than later.

I hope this helps answer your question, if so please click the green accept button, if not im still here to assist you,

Thanks again,

Charles

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your prompt reply. A few more questions please.
1. Regarding spray arm: the dishes are not dripping wet at the end of the "cycle", but are warm and damp all over. Does this mean they MAY have been wet but the heat has semi-dried them?
2. I took the spray arms off and checked the little holes, they seem to allow water to flow out quite easily. But I did not actually clean the holes - what is the best thing to clean the little holes with?
3. Does the presence of undrained water at the bottom of the machine at the end of the cycle suggest pump failure, or just drainage problem? (I did get drainage checked and it seemed fine). ie is the undrained water associated with pump failure as well as drainage problem, or is it predominantly a drainage problem?
(I want to work out whether I have one problem or 2!)
Thanks!
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
If the drains are clear but you still have a small amount of standing water then the pump is going bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks.
One last question - for pump replacement, is the $250ish generally for the part only, excluding labour? Would I be looking at closer to $400 realistically?
Thank you
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

And Happy New Year!!

$250 is the starting price with labor and materials. It is the base price. The cost could be higher depending on the actual cost of the parts and if it needs anything else.

Thanks again,

Charles

Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience: Install, repair and trouble shoot