Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

Icemaker does not work. Freezer Red light blinks twice and

Icemaker does not work. Freezer Red light blinks twice and repeats. If I hold the flapper, the red light is solid red. If I close the door switch, the red light goes off.

Kenmore 106.55529400

Thanks, Keith
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Then you have a good infrared system

Repairman1981 :

Reach into the maker and see if you have any cubes waiting to pop out or if it's empty

Customer:

No ice cubes, it is empty

Repairman1981 :

then your likely culprit is the maker, I see a common issue on these A LOT .... the cam pin on the head breaks off, and causes the motor to not be able to turn the fingers, the ice evaporates due to the normal defrost cycle, and your left like you are

Repairman1981 :

To check this remove the icemaker and take the cover off see if you have 1 pin or 2 on the big cam in the center of it

Repairman1981 :

You will need to remove 1 1/4" screw on the bottom of the maker on the right hand side holding the cover on to the wiring

Repairman1981 :

And then pull the lift up flap off, just push to one side and it pulls right off

Customer:

I'm not sure about what you mean regarding 1 or 2 pins on the big cam. Can you describe better.

Customer:

The big shaft that has fingers on it in the ice maker looks fine. That shaft fits into and turned by I guess is the cam shaft. That cam shaft has a plastic gear on the outside of the timing module. box. That plastic gear looks to be connected to a metal gear and the 1 rpm timing motor. On the cam shaft, there is a plastic curved shoe that controls another plastic piece that opens and closes some electrical switches.

Customer:

I don't see anything that would indicate anything is broken. The outside plastic gear says not to rotate it. Could the electric timing motor have just "frozen" up? Also, in looking at the plastic coating in the cube area, some of it has separated leaving bare metal (we have hard water here). So, is my best approach just to replace the entire ice maker?

Repairman1981 :

Yep, it could be just a bad maker,

Repairman1981 :

Usually the 2 clip pieces that hold the big cam onto the shaft there one of them break and it slides out away from the motor

Repairman1981 :

If this isn't occuring you need to replace the whole icemaker

Customer:

I have another Sears refrigerator/with icemaker although the ice unit wasn't hooked up. To my surprise, the ice unit is the same as the broken one. so I swapped it out to the primary refrigerator and it is now making ice.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands