Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

I had three dishwasher drawers installed because of all the

Customer Question

I had three dishwasher drawers installed because of all the entertaining we do. The top one (of the double drawer) has always worked. The single one of the other side of my sink has NEVER washed propery - leaves the dishes dirty and soap on them (I use the correct powdered dish soap.)

Every repair man I have called gives me a different answer.
These drawers NEVER have worked for anyone - change them out.
It is your garbage disposal placement - the lower one can't drain?????
I asked to have it moved to the lower sink but he found hoses that were kinked and thought THAT was the problem. WHO can I hire that KNOWS how these are suppose to be hooked up????
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Where are you located?

Repairman1981 :

I'm a servicer in nashville, TN and VERY familiar with these I can help you out if your local

Repairman1981 :

If your not I can try to find someone for you

Repairman1981 :

Are they under warranty still or no?

Customer :

I live in Upland, California. No they are not under warranty. I had them installed in 2005 by the same technician that installed my sinks and Blue Star 60" range iin my newly remodled kitchen.. He was considered very knowledgable of all the high end appliances and was recommended to me by my stand by appliance company "Cagels Applaince" in Ontario, CA. We have been with them since they opened 50 years ago (we own a property management business).

Customer :

They have been very knowledgable until it came to these high end products.

Customer :

The installing tech. said that the garbage disposal would present a problem because it needed to be installed on the lower sink yet each company I have had out since says that makes no since.

Repairman1981 :

well, I will start off by saying I'm not familiar with your water quality there, but what have they been telling you?

Repairman1981 :

It doesn't matter where the disposal is installed

Repairman1981 :

Usually upper is where I put them (just more convenient)

Customer :

It IS the upper sink that has the garbage disposal but this particular sink was designed for it to be on the lower sink and the only way I know that is the racks that go in the bottom of each sink (for protection) only has the hole on the lower sink.

Customer :

OK! then you agree with most the other techs I have had - it is NOT a problem with the garbage disposal.

Repairman1981 :

ok, well ... that is a sink preference .... as far as dishwashers go, that will have 0 effect on your dishwasher

Repairman1981 :

That is all a preference

Repairman1981 :

If it doesn't leak from the sink it doesn't matter

Customer :

One company came out and charged me for cleaning the filters on the dishwashers which were not even dirty and told me that was the problem but of course it did not solve it.

Repairman1981 :

Filters can be an issue, but if not obviously dirty they were just ripping you off

Customer :

Good! glad its not the garbage disposal issue.

Customer :

I can't think of what else to blame. :)

Repairman1981 :

nope, the disposal is fine, I don't need a picture or anything to confirm this

Repairman1981 :

the only way a disposal can cause a problem is if the disposal knockout plug isn't removed but even an idiot that doesn't know what he is doing can find that in about 2 mins

Repairman1981 :

and you will get 0 drainage at all .... not even a little

Customer :

Cagels (I just talked to them AGAIN about fixing the dishwashers) and they said replace them - the drawers just aren't any good.

Customer :

Drainage is working fine.

Repairman1981 :

The drawers are fine, and actually good quality, they are just tempromental

Repairman1981 :

You have to rinse better than regular dishwashers, and you can't just fill them with soap etc

Customer :

The dishwashers all three run but the single and bottom just leaves soap on everything and doesn't wash at all.

Repairman1981 :

Other than that they are of good quality

Customer :

I totally wash EVERYTHING that I put in them but would LIKE to still use them to sanitize the dishes, etc.

Repairman1981 :

The leaving soap on everything is gonna be a soap issue, and the whole not washing thing, does it drain fine? The pump for wash and drain is the same

Customer :

I am glad you have found the drawers to be "good", they were new when I picked them so their life span was an unknown for me.

Customer :

Yes, all three dishwashers drain just fine.

Repairman1981 :

you should get 10-15 years out of them before they turn into money pits

Customer :

The drawers go thru what sounds like a normal wash cycle but if I leave any grease or smear in a cup or on a dish it will still be there when it is finished.

Repairman1981 :

Sounds like a pressure issue, but you get no error codes? Does it sound like the pump SHOOTS water out when draining, and does it sound like there is a lot of pressure when washing?

Customer :

I use the powdered dish soap that it said I should use.

Repairman1981 :

You should use powder ... there is a couple lines in it, the bottom one is all you need unless you have really hard water

Customer :

Yes it gets plenty of pressure when washing and NO error codes ever.

Repairman1981 :

Again ... in california I have NO clue on this as an expert (I'm from tennessee)

Customer :

Yep, I don't over fill the powder.

Repairman1981 :

Lemme bring up something totally crazy then, if you get pressure, and the unit doesn't error out, is it possible the spray arm is bound up and not spinnning freely by something?

Customer :

We have soft water - we are on well water - we live up the mountain and the well is for our community and up the mountain even farther but tests show it is not hard water.

Repairman1981 :

If that is happening only a straight line would be clean, this would leave the rest uncleaned like your describing

Customer :

Hmmmm..........let me put a load in and check that out. I have completely removed everything and replaced it (looking for a problem) and the arm SEEMS like it is free to move. oops - just checked one of the arms and it is acting funny.

Repairman1981 :

maybe your drawer rack isn't in correctly binding it up, or something is protruding down

Repairman1981 :

You have to be able to spin the arm and it turn 360 degrees without any binding up

Customer :

Yep it spins 360 - what I noticed was the little guard door had come off and had fallen down below and the arm was hitting it. I have only used that single dishdrawer for "drip drying" what I wash by hand - so it hasn't been put thru a cycle for over a month. I just loaded it with dirty bowls (from baking corn bread and tamale pie) and started it running to see if there is anything noticable in HOW it cleans.

Repairman1981 :

it should clean better if that was blocking it from turning

Repairman1981 :

You should notice a difference quickly

Customer :

I will have to dirty something to start the lower dishdrawer on the other side - will do that now. You are up REALLY late. Happy NEW YEAR by the way!

Repairman1981 :

thanks you to

Repairman1981 :

I'm about to head off to bed, was just finishing up with someone else when I saw your question come in

Customer :

That was just blocking recently - since I don't use two of the drawers and haven't for years since they have never worked. I only send them thru a cycle to prevent the water that has dripped off from sitting there and getting stale or stinky.

Repairman1981 :

yeah I gotcha

Customer :

I will finish checking out the washing on the two drawers and talk to you tomorrow when you are available?

Repairman1981 :

I should be on and off all day

Repairman1981 :

If you reply and I'm not on

Repairman1981 :

I will get an email and be back on ASAP, current customers take priority over new questions, so I willl get with you ASAP

Customer :

It is mid night here in Upland - so a Happy New Year and I will catch you sometime tomorrow.

Repairman1981 :

ok no problem you to

Customer :

Sounds great! Thank you SO much for your kind help!!!

Repairman1981 :

no problem it's what we're here for

Customer :

Thank you so much for your help. Having contact with you and knowing I had paid out money gave me the push I needed to get to the bottom of what was wrong with these dishwasher drawers. I started the conversation thinking that "the problem" was going to need a live technician to move the garbabe disposal or SOMETHING difficult. Thanks to your conversation - I started revisiting each issue from scratch. As it turns out, the filters did have the mesh holes filled up with calcium deposits so I took a brush to it but wonder if I can soak it in CLR to remove the calcium better? The holes are so tiny - the brush doesn't do a very good job. One of the drawers had a piece of what looked like saran wrap in the filter which couldn't be seen easily so obviously THAT was not helping. I reduced the amount of dishwashing soap to the bottom line and that has stopped the soap from being in various spots on the dishes and glasses. I am guessing I am suppose to use MORE soap with hard water? THANK YOU AGAIN!! I LOVE using all three drawers again.